X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
    As for the question of what it is. It's a RR1T,
    Originally posted by RacerX View Post
    No, this letter letter number designation did not start until around 1995.
    Actually, the first introduction of the RR1T was in the year 2000.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

that model was officially called the cool one like randy's. always thought the string thru custom, black and gold was KING.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
        Cheap Ontario Jackson? I don't think so, don't listen to your friends that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.
        Some of that era had the over sized pick up rings to fit the pick up covers.The pick up itself is not over sized.
        The holes in the cavity is where the ground wire from the TOM bridge.
        Std build wood was maple neck/center section and poplar wings.
        I had an 89 that was all maple so different woods were used if the customer asked for it.
        The serial number makes it a 1988.
        Thanks ! So if I get it right, the cavities made for the pickup's are not oversized ! And if I change my pickup's, I can at the same time change the pickup rings and cover the old holes ? That would be perfect.

I'm asking all of this 'cause first I'd like to know my guitar, and second I'm thinking about modding it a bit, like changing all the gold parts for silver / chrome (sorry j2379 ^^; )

Comment

you should keep it with gold hardware! it's a nice RR!
          Jackson RR0191 * Jackson Strat #1814 * Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty

Comment

Std pickup rings will not fit this guitar. You need to go to 'frets on the net' and get yourself some oversized pickup rings to fit std pickup sizes. None of the regular stores do these, this guy makes them custom to order.

The reason I know, I have an 89. Keep it, these Ontario RR's are awsome!

Comment

hmm, I'm not sure to get it : Are the holes made for the pickup's larger than usual on those RR's ? I do get that pickup rings are larger but I don't get why I can't use standard pickup rings if I change the pickup's.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Corpse View Post
                hmm, I'm not sure to get it : Are the holes made for the pickup's larger than usual on those RR's ? I do get that pickup rings are larger but I don't get why I can't use standard pickup rings if I change the pickup's.
                The route for some pups are larger, yes. What is being recommended to you is a pup ring that retains the same "footprint" yet has a smaller hole in it for normal sized pups so that it doesn't leave a gap all around the pup. Make sense now?
                In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Originally posted by CowboyFromHell View Post
                  The route for some pups are larger, yes. What is being recommended to you is a pup ring that retains the same "footprint" yet has a smaller hole in it for normal sized pups so that it doesn't leave a gap all around the pup. Make sense now?
                  Exactly.

Using a normal pickup ring would leave no gap, but you would have to drill new holes into the body that were closer together. When you put the standard ring on you would still see the old screw holes for the oversized ring. So you need something with the same 'footprint' as Cowboy said.

Comment

This pic might help explain.

This shows one of the custom oversize rings with no gap. The yellow lines show approximately the size of a standard ring. As you can see, you would need to drill new screw holes (the yellow circles) and you would still be able to see some of the original screw holes from the oversize ring if you just replaced it with a standard ring.

PICT1195.jpg

So the custom ring is the only way to have no gap, no drilling needed, and no old screw holes visible.

Comment

Hi guys, I'm back !

Thank you for the pic Ward, now I really see the difference. So, hypothetically, I could bring my guitar to my luthier and ask him to do all the drilling and covering stuff to be able to put standard rings.

But what I want to be sure to is about the hole / cavity where you put the pick up : is it oversized too or is it just a pickup ring thing ? Meaning if I put any standard pick will it fit well or will I have a gap ? Will the hole be a bit too big for a standard pick up ?

Comment

The rings we're talking about are oversized in the footprint, the pup hole is normal sized, it's made exactly for what you're wanting it for.
                        In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Corpse View Post
                          So, hypothetically, I could bring my guitar to my luthier and ask him to do all the drilling and covering stuff to be able to put standard rings.

But what I want to be sure to is about the hole / cavity where you put the pick up : is it oversized too or is it just a pickup ring thing ? Meaning if I put any standard pick will it fit well or will I have a gap ? Will the hole be a bit too big for a standard pick up ?
                          If you put a standard ring on there (even if a pro does the drilling) you WILL see the old screw holes. When I got the guitar above, the previous owner had done exactly what you are talking about. He had a guitar shop drill holes and put a standard size ring on it. Then they filled the old screw holes and painted them to match the body.

Problem is, the old holes were still visible. There is no way around that. It may not be a big deal to you, and depending on the color it may not be very noticeable. But I'm a bit of a stickler, and to me it was worth $25 for a custom ring to not have old screw holes visible. The red sparkle paint is very hard to match, so on mine the old holes were pretty easy to see.

Like Cowboy said, the pickup holes are regular size. But even if they were a bit big it wouldn't matter. The pickup attaches only to the ring, the route being a little too big for the pickup wouldn't have any effect.
                          Last edited by Ward; 11-27-2012, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Thank you for your testimony. Since I am a stickler too, I will go for the custom rings. And it's perfect for the pickup's then !

Thank you again guys ! I may post pics once I get the new stuff for my RR ; and I know for sure that this one is a keeper.
                            Last edited by Joe Corpse; 11-28-2012, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Glad to be of help!

If you are going to use Frets on the Net keep in mind that he only takes custom orders at the beginning of each month. So if you get in touch with him this weekend you might be able to get on his December schedule.

Definitely post some pics up when you get it put together.

Comment

I just checked fretsonthenet.com and, sadly, december is his hollyday so no commands taken. I still have to check if he got some of the stuff I need in stock ; but it seems like I will have to wait 'till january...

Comment

Working...
                                X