Help with one of Robin Crosby’s Guitar Value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with one of Robin Crosby’s Guitar Value

The story behind this guitar is a friend bought this from Robin in the late 80’s up in Hollywood. He met Robin at a party and Robin needed some quick cash and offered the guitar to my buddy. It started its life as a white flying V. My buddy did not care for the body so changed it out for a strat type of body (stupid). Pete my buddy was in Hollywood trying to make it like everyone. He needed money at some point and sold it to another of our friends Robert. Robert moved out of state and sold it to another one of our friends Brad. A few years later Brad passed away at 45 from alcoholism and left the guitar to me. Beautiful playing and sounding guitar unique head stock and was from a rock star. I don’t play much so for the most part it sits. So I’m about ready to sell it. I am unsure of the guitars value and thought maybe someone from this site could help. Brad ran around with people in the industry and had offers up to $4,000. What do you guys think the value would be?

Neck was from Robin Crosby Flying V it is wider than standard jumbo frets and as you can tell the head stalk from Robin with neck plate SN#3503 Out of San Dimas.
    Floyd Rose is a Schaller Made in Germany this was also Robin’s off the V
    Body is a Jackson strat type from custom shop looks to have been made in 88
    The Bridge Pickup is an early model Bill Lawrence L500 friend that built the guitar said time frame for pickup is a big deal.
    Also 2 Evans singles in neck and center positions
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bart_t; 11-29-2012, 04:02 PM. Reason: Had extra txt

At the end of the day it's a parts mutt with a Robbin Crosby owned neck on it. It's a pretty thin connection unless someone has the body lying around and is looking for that neck to go with it. Cool guitar though.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Parts mutt. Try to track down someone that offered $4k for it.

You could probably get a grand for the neck from someone who just has to have it. Several hundred for the body. You can't really request to have the log books checked anymore but if you get lucky and can find a scan of the page with that number, it could boost the value.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Hm.. interesting.

Comment

Agreed; find the guy that wanted to give you 4k for it. Have you posted about this one before? This seems oddly familiar. Interesting serial, as it's way lower than his other bolt on guitars that had the noskcaJ logos on them (those are in the 4600s). I'm sure a Robbin fan would want the neck, but even as a huge Robbin fan, I wouldn't pay more than 300 for it. You're probably better off parting it out.

Sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
            Have you posted about this one before? This seems oddly familiar.
            Somebody did indeed ask about and post pics of that guitar here not too long ago.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I saw this on FB a couple months ago and posted it here. Curt replied saying he had seen it and wondered about it, but that was about it. Why does OP post three paragraphs that say the same thing?

Comment

This was pre King V was a larger body like the Gibson V's. I will have to see if I can find a picture of the guitar before with the V body.

Comment

Here is the link: Second page, third from top.

It had to be a Double Rhoads body.

Comment

Originally posted by AIC70 View Post
                    Ah, that's where I'd seen it before.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That was my post on face book. It really is a shame that he dumped the body. He loved the Floyd Rose wide neck becuase he is a big dude like Robin 6'5 or so and still thinks thats the best made.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart_t View Post
                        This was pre King V was a larger body like the Gibson V's. I will have to see if I can find a picture of the guitar before with the V body.
                        I believe ya on the roundhorn V body, but I doublt it was built before the King Vs; Robbin had three of them on the Out of the Cellar tour.
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Wow bad move tossing that body in the trash!

Comment

That's a damn shame right there.

Comment

IIRC, someone came to the forum with a SD roundhorn mutt that eventually went on Ebay? About a year ago or so. :think:
                              "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Working...
                              X