Help deciding on my next guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help deciding on my next guitar

I got into Charvel guitars through the pro mod series of guitars. First there were the USA models and then there was the move to Japan where quality actually improved. I’ve had about 10 of the Pro Mod guitars, both USA and Japanese models and my favorites out of the 10 I’ve owned are the Slime green USA SD, a red Jap. SoCal, and the Grey Primer Wildcard SD. Currently, my collection of Pro Mod’s is down to 5. They include the previous ones mentioned as well as a blue SoCal and a Purple SD tele. I only really play the Wildcard and the red SoCal on a regular basis and use the green one because it looks cool. The other two pro mods just kind of sit. I also picked up a Jackson PC1 on a whim late this year and it gets a lot of play time from me.
    So, I’m thinking of selling the guitars I don’t play, consolidating my collection and possible getting a better quality guitar.
    I’ve been thinking of guitars to get and I have 5 or 6 options. I wanted to get some opinions on choices for a new guitar. Lately I’ve been interested in “the right combo of wood”. Mahogany can sound great, but it depends on thickness and quality. A maple of koa cap, also helps it to sound good. Padouk is a great sounding wood, but it has to be custom ordered. Alder is very hit or miss. Then there’s neck shapes- the Primer Charvel Wildcard, EBMM Axis and PC1 are my favorite neck shapes. I also like the feel of a smoothly polished Ebony fingerboard, but I love the look of Maple fingerboards. Here’s my shortlist of guitars I’ve been thinking about. I wanted to get some feedback and opinions about the following-

1) Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist-
    2) Jackson PC1
    3) Carvin DC135 or C66
    4) GMW Flying V
    5) GJ2
    6) Caparison TAT

1) The first guitar that came to mind when I though about upgrading gear was the Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist. I played it at what used to be Manny’s Music in NYC, but is now a Sam Ash store. I thought the neck felt great and it was an exceptional guitar overall. In fact, it wowed me. I didn’t really care for the PU’s and thought the guitar sounded a little dark. I’m not sure how the Mahogany will sound with my amps (I demoed it on a L6 Spider amp). The Quilted maple tops also seem a little too plain for this expensive of an instrument and its at the top of my budget. However, The controls and input jack are recessed, it has SS frets, a Floyd Rose Pro and played like a dream.

2) The second guitar would be an additional Jackson PC1. I love mine, but its kind of a beater. A new one would give me what I love about my guitar and then some. I could also chose a cool finish like the pink or Chameleon.

3) Next would be a Carvin of some sort. I used to have an all mahogany Ultra V and it sounded great, but I hated the neck shape, which was the reason I sold it. If I got another one, there’s no grantee that I’d bond with the neck. That said, I can pretty much design one the way I’d want- Koa body, Mahognay neck, Birdseye Maple fingerboard with SS frets, Piezo Floyd Rose. It would also be the cheapest option with the worst resale value.

4) Choice 4 would be a GMW. I miss having a Flying V and think it’s the shape I’d choose. I’d also request Padouk as the wood for the body and neck. I’d also request this cool ½ Maple/½ Ebony fingerboard the they do. I’ve heard GMW’s are great, but having never played one, I can’t really judge. Also, this would likely be the most expensive option as custom guitars and paintjobs get pricy fast and my budget is in the low $2k range.

5) Next there’s GJ2. I like the idea of having a new Grover Jackson guitar, but think the prices are way too high for what you get. Also, like the carvin and GMW, I can't play them beforehand.

6) Finally, there’s the Caparison TAT. I feel that it out classes a normal soloist in almost every way. In contrast to the Broderick model, it doesn’t have the SS frets, the low profile trem or recessed controls.

This is pretty much what I’m thinking about right now. I'm leaning towards the Boderick model, but my opinion could always change. Which guitar would you go for and why?

I apologise if I've written a lot, I just wanted to put all options on the table. Thanks in advance for helping me out.

Peace~
    Last edited by The Rossness; 12-23-2012, 11:52 PM.

In my opinion I'd go for the Chris B Soloist. It's an amazing guitar, nice neck profile, amazing construction, and the body contours are killer!

Comment

Since you asked: I'd start hunting for a PC1 in Euphoria pink, knowing that it might take some time to find one in great shape. IMHO, the most beautiful finish.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rossness View Post
        3) Next would be a Carvin of some sort. I used to have an all mahogany Ultra V and it sounded great, but I hated the neck shape, which was the reason I sold it. If I got another one, there’s no grantee that I’d bond with the neck. That said, I can pretty much design one the way I’d want- Koa body, Mahognay neck, Birdseye Maple fingerboard with SS frets, Piezo Floyd Rose. It would also be the cheapest option with the worst resale value.
        Give Carvin the dimensions of the neck profile you want, and they'll make it for you, for a slight upcharge.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That's a pretty diverse list of options to choose from - tough to compare a PC-1 to a Broderick to a GMW V. Personally, from that list I woud choose the GMW. Lee is great to work with and, aside from the Carvin, you get the option of choosing your own specs when you order the guitar. If you don't get too crazy with a graphic, you should be able to spec of a GMW V in your price range. You can also send Lee measurements of a neck profile and he will usually accomodate your request. If nothing else, look into the GMW, you might be surprised as to what you get for the cost as compared to the others.

I know you said you've never played a GMW and I can respect being hesitant on taking a chance on a custom order when you've never played one before. I have a number of J/C's and I love them, but my go to guitars are my GMWs. Also, I've let my friends play my different GMWs and they have all said the same thing that they are super comfortable and easy to play.

That's my 2 cents for now. Good luck with the decision.

Comment

I almost bought a Buddy Blaze custom koa strat with my bonus this year. Unfortunately, other obligations had to come first. I'm not sure if the entire body is koa or if it's capped on mahogany, but what a sharp guitar. At $3500 street, it had better be. Ouch.

Hell I may still go for it lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
              I almost bought a Buddy Blaze custom koa strat with my bonus this year. Unfortunately, other obligations had to come first. I'm not sure if the entire body is koa or if it's capped on mahogany, but what a sharp guitar. At $3500 street, it had better be. Ouch.

Hell I may still go for it lol.
              I played some of the import models last year and hated the necks. They had an R2 floyd nut and were skinny. In my hand, they felt microscopic. I still don't understand the middle PU?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyryche View Post
                That's a pretty diverse list of options to choose from - tough to compare a PC-1 to a Broderick to a GMW V.
                That's why I haven't really commented.

GMW is most commonly known for their perfect Charvel Strats that are better than Charvel Strats. Most people would probably say the gamble with GMW is a safe bet.

I'm really pleased with my Fender Deluxe, to be completely honest. I love the neck profile. But mine has an ebony fretboard... none of the maple or rosewood ones had an acoustic tone that I was satisfied with. I often play unplugged, so lately my choices have been the more pleasant sounding guitars to me, which are typically ebony fretboards and alder or mahogany for body wood.

Some of the newer Broderick soloists do look pretty nice, but I haven't played one.

GMW is probably going to have a similar profile to an AS Jackson if you don't give them specifics. So maybe try one of those out?

I feel odd recommending bolt ons when your list is mostly neck-thru or set neck...
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

After some digging-

While they are appealing, I think Carvin is out of the picture.

I sent CS quotes to GMW, Luxxtone, and GMP. GMW can do most of what I want and they're the cheapest by a long shot. Luxxtone was a company recommended to me, but they can't do everything I want and they're about $600 more than a GMW with the same specs. I haven't heard back from the guys @ GMP. They've got this cool Cheetah guitar in their "For Sale" guitars, but it has all the wrong specs.

Being fairly limited in budget, the Jackson's have remained stagnant. Since I can't play a Broderick and have to go from memory- I'm scratching my head as to why it doesn't have a compound radius neck? I'm considering used CS Charvel's and the DeMartini Snakeskin as well. Then I think that If I have some extra cash in my pocket, why not get a used Ducatti or Mazda Miata for tooling around in the summer time. Then I think of the cool guitar I'd leave behind.

BTW, here are the specs I've sent to various custom shops-

Body: Charvel Star (bolt on), tummy cut, forearm contour (if that’s possible), H/S pickup layout, recessed output jack (Like a Jackson Randy Rhoades guitar), contour on neck heel

Neck: Can you copy a neck shape if I give you the dimensions? I have a certain San Dimas neck which I love! Figured birdseye maple neck, tung oil finish on the back of the neck, aggressively rolled fretboard edges

Fretboard: Split between ½ Maple & ½ ebony, Dot inlay markers, 24 medium jumbo SS frets, R3 locking floyd rose nut

Electronics: Humbucker/ nothing /Single, Seymour Duncan RTM (bridge) Seymour Duncan YJM (neck), I’d like the pickups direct mounted to the body, 500k Push/ push Volume knob switches pickups like an ESP Lynch Kamikaze

Hardware: Non-Recessed Floyd Rose, Gold Hardware, Sperzel locking tuners

Finish: I was wondering If on the top of the guitar (neck and upper fin) if I could do Hot rod flames. On the long lower fin I was thinking about a black and white bullseye pattern. I think it would look cool if the two finishes met in the middle of the body

Comment

Doing some more digging, I went to Matt's Music and King Guitar on Monday. At matt's, I really liked the Chris Broderick soloist and a few Suhrs. At king guitar, I was into a Suhr with EMG's. At this point, I can get a Suhr M2 Pro for $1850, a used Suhr S1 for $1900, a Chris Broderick Soloist for $2500 or a PC1 for $2k. I'm very much leaning towards the Suhr M2 Pro.

Comment

I dont mean to be a dick but i just cant see the reason to buy a 2k piece of wood and throw EMG's in it unless the feel is so beyond belief that it makes my playing better. To each his own but it just baffles me to see guys go out and get a boutique like piece and use EMG's.
                      Haters gonna hate
                      Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by coloradoman25 View Post
                        I dont mean to be a dick but i just cant see the reason to buy a 2k piece of wood and throw EMG's in it unless the feel is so beyond belief that it makes my playing better. To each his own but it just baffles me to see guys go out and get a boutique like piece and use EMG's.
                        It does feel really good, but your point is one of the big reason's I'm not getting it. I'd like SS frets and it doesn't have those either.

My decision basically is a Suhr M2 pro. I'm just having a hard time pulling the trigger on it. I'll probably order it on Friday. I'd very much like to get the Broderick soloist, but I really don't want to spend the money it cost.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rossness View Post
                          It does feel really good, but your point is one of the big reason's I'm not getting it. I'd like SS frets and it doesn't have those either.

My decision basically is a Suhr M2 pro. I'm just having a hard time pulling the trigger on it. I'll probably order it on Friday. I'd very much like to get the Broderick soloist, but I really don't want to spend the money it cost.

Arrgh... I can't do it. I had a great price of $1845 w/ free shipping for a brand new suhr, but I have a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach about it. The suhr feels great, but its just not the tone I hear in my head. Has anyone every had a decision like mine? You know something is supposed to be great,you like it, but for some reason, you can't commit to buying it?

I really like the Broderick soloist, but cost is my issue. I guess that means more savings....

Comment

Originally posted by coloradoman25 View Post
                            Ah, someone with the old wives' tale that all EMGs sound the same no matter what guitar you put them in?

Some guitars sound better with the 81, others with the 85. Others with the X series. If you like the JB, you'll probably never understand.

edit: If Jackson stopped putting in JB's, they'd probably sell a lot more guitars...
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                            X