Convince me that I don't care about a recessed tremolo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convince me that I don't care about a recessed tremolo

So, I'm penning together a new custom shop order, finding some way to dispose of my post-good financial year cash. After looking around for a few inspirational bits, lo and behold, I find for sale, brand new, near enough my exact options that I'd request on my custom order. With one difference.

The guitar I've found, same spec in every way, has a non-recessed floyd rose. Well, I've only ever had recessed floyds, I'm just wondering how much I should care about a non-recessed floyd.

I would imagine the cost difference is about $400 and of course the 2 year wait. One side of me is thinking I can live with it, buy the guitar that already exists and have fun. The other side of me is wondering would it bother me and should I just go custom shop, it's a lot of cash to spend afterall?

I think it's really a question of feel since a non-recessed Floyd has a different feel to a recessed one. Guitars with recessed Floyds have a more low profile feel due to the fact that the bridge and strings are closer to the body like a Strat. On the other hand, non-recessed Floyded guitars feel more like TOM-equipped guitars like Gibsons because they have an angled neck and the bridge and strings sit higher off the body. I say try it out first if you can and see how you feel about it. Also note that just because the Floyd is non-recessed doesn't mean you can't set it up to do pull-ups.
    It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
    ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Sadly, I can't try out the specific guitar first; I'll see what I can find locally.

Comment

personally, i have always played recessed floyds. anytime i have gotten a non-recessed, i end up getting rid of the guitar because i can't get used to the feel.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Makes no difference to me. I have both styles and love them both.

Comment

Up until a few weeks ago I woulda flatly stated that recessed trems are the ONLY way to go. I've played both and found recessed to be more comfy. However, a little before the holidaze, I scored an explorer-type ax with the non-recessed Floyd. At first, it was irksome and irritating to play; the edge of the Floyd kept digging into my right hand palm. After a while, I became accustomed to the raised trem and the palm mutilation stopped. The amazing playability of that ax totally came thru. Based on that one experience, I'm now open to either. Your mileage may vary.
            '
            Last edited by vector; 01-08-2013, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              Makes no difference to me. I have both styles and love them both.
              Same here, I'm good either way.
              see if you can find a guitar at GC or Whatever the big shop is nearest to you that has a non recessed floyd on it and
              feel it out.
              If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

If it's a place that will let you return it, it's worth a shot. Don't underestimate the frustration of waiting 2 years for a CS order. You'll most likely be wishing you ordered something different at that point because tastes change.

If you are looking to celebrate a good year, the instant satisfaction of getting the guitar now may be worth it. The old "bird in the hand" scenario.

Comment

I have both, can live with either, but prefer the non-recessed for the extra room to dig in.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I had the same worries a while back when I was buying the tribal flame RR in the pics: all my guitars had recessed floyds so I was a bit worried... however, I got the guitar, played a couple of hours and didn't find a big difference between recessed and non recessed. Visually, non recessed is better, at least IMO.

Last edited by Sergio; 01-08-2013, 12:13 PM.
                    Light Lies Trailer
                    www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQC1CvcNQ6g

Six-Point Lead
                    www.youtube.com/sixpointlead

www.myspace.com/sixpointlead

Comment

Have you played an EBMM axis before? That has a non-floating non-recessed floyd. If you have no problems playing that then a non-recessed floyd would make sense. Whether or not you have it floating or push down depends on how much whammy you use! Personally I like the tuning stability of a floyd but seldom use the bar - so non-recessed is not a problem

Comment

Originally posted by JonSick View Post
                        So, I'm penning together a new custom shop order, finding some way to dispose of my post-good financial year cash. After looking around for a few inspirational bits, lo and behold, I find for sale, brand new, near enough my exact options that I'd request on my custom order. With one difference.

The guitar I've found, same spec in every way, has a non-recessed floyd rose. Well, I've only ever had recessed floyds, I'm just wondering how much I should care about a non-recessed floyd.

I would imagine the cost difference is about $400 and of course the 2 year wait. One side of me is thinking I can live with it, buy the guitar that already exists and have fun. The other side of me is wondering would it bother me and should I just go custom shop, it's a lot of cash to spend afterall?
                        I have Jacksons both ways, I don't think it's a big deal.

Comment

If you're used to playing a couple of different guitars, I'd say it'd be an easy adjustment to make - I prefer non-recessed, but have plenty of both types..
                          Popular is not the same as good
                          Rare is not the same as valuable
                          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I too have both types.
                            For me, I don't even notice the difference anymore.
                            -Rick

Comment

Both types, doesn't particularly matter. With a neck-thru you're stuck with it. If you have a recessed floyd on a bolt-on? Add a shim to the neck pocket and you've made up about half the difference between a recessed and non-recessed with a business card thickness shim in the pocket.
                              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X