Am I the only one? Volume position problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the only one? Volume position problems

I have a CS soloist and the location of the volume knob is killing me. I bought this one because I have wanted it forever from someone on here. I keep trying to play it and EVERYTHING feels perfect except the volume knob keeps getting in my way. I think I have heard people speak of this before.

I have never had this issue on any other guitar that I recall but the location has me constantly turning it down. Barring taking the knob off any ideas? I hate to make this thing a wall hanger because the knob is in the way because otherwise its a beast.
    Haters gonna hate
    Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Yup.
    It is a love/ hate volume knob issue with my ontario soloist custom, knob so close to the bridge pickup.
    So I have to play it "different" than my custom shop soloist, where the volume knob is farther away,
    I can play "freely" on it without hinder.

Been thinking of:
    A. plugging the volume hole, move to the middle
    B. just taking the hole thing down, fill all the holes, pop new ones in,
    finally fill the middle pup route,
    and send it off to Mike Learn for a custom graphic paint job that has been
    dancing in my head for a bit....
    But, the guitar kills as is. on the fence...

I hear ya man.
    >^v^<

Comment

Yeah that issue is a motherf'er. I ran into that with the WR1 design and went with the solution of moving the volume to the tone position and taking the tone pot out. Along the way, I discovered by accident that non-recessed trem guitars don't have this issue (at least for me). The higher bridge position causes your right hand to just sail over the volume knob without hitting it. This is one of the hidden benefits of the nr trem that doesn't seem to get talked about. Along those lines, I have also discovered that there are short barrel knobs out there that can also lower the profile of the volume knob and possibly work for you. I don't have a source for them but I'm sure you can find one and try it out.

Comment

Hmm that may be a couple of options. Its a graphic so I really dont wanna mod it and send it to learn as I like this graphic. Im gonna look into the short shaft and also see what it would do if I had it in the tone position for swells. I have an expression pedal with my m13 so I can use it for swells but I hate to change out my whole setup for 1 guitar.

This is the only one I have run into this issue with which is odd but then again I have never had one with the knob in this position that I can recall.

Its also an EMG pot which seems to turn much more smoothly
        Haters gonna hate

Comment

I've had a couple of guitars with this issue and "fixed" it by putting a felt washer under the knob. It won't get it out of the way but it won't turn down everytime you touch it and it will still turn down with just a lil more effort.
          In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

CBH like the strap button deal? Wonder if a small hose washer would work with it being rubber it might have more resistance. I think a lowes trip may be in my future lol

thanks guys~
            Haters gonna hate

Comment

"long those lines, I have also discovered that there are short barrel knobs out there that can also lower the profile of the volume knob and possibly work for you."

I forgot about that...
              I did do that to my soloist custom, replaced the stock barrels with
              solid brass black out skirted (strat knob looking) knobs
              and even modded them even lower...
              Helped out alot, and more usable, and less obtrusive, in the way.
              >^v^<

Comment

Dug through the parts bin and have a short barrel im gonna try that this afternoon. I really wanna make this work as I dont think anyone would buy this thing if I tried to sell it anyway lol.
                Haters gonna hate

Comment

If I look at the side profile of the volume knob on one of my non-recessed strats, the very top of the knob is just under the string height. You gotta love nr trems! Kahlers can provide the same desirable bridge height as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                    I ran into that with the WR1 design and went with the solution of moving the volume to the tone position and taking the tone pot out. Along the way, I discovered by accident that non-recessed trem guitars don't have this issue (at least for me). The higher bridge position causes your right hand to just sail over the volume knob without hitting it. This is one of the hidden benefits of the nr trem that doesn't seem to get talked about. Along those lines, I have also discovered that there are short barrel knobs out there that can also lower the profile of the volume knob and possibly work for you.
                    I use all the above tricks. I prefer Nonrecessed trems to begin with and this is an added benefit. Actually, I will shim an already nonrecessed trem, like a promod, to make it even higher off the body. The strings are not any higher off the body than a traditional LP, and it allows my hand to sail free and clear above the knob.

BTW, I've been having this issue ssince the late 80s when I first got my Model 2 (I drilled a hole for the volume further away for that one).
                    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by coloradoman25 View Post
                      CBH like the strap button deal? Wonder if a small hose washer would work with it being rubber it might have more resistance. I think a lowes trip may be in my future lol

thanks guys~
                      It may, but you might have a hard time finding one with a hole small enough to keep it in place correctly. Lowes or Home Depot may have a good size selection that you can dig through and find something that will work. Let us know what you find to help the issue.
                      In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

I think I may have a solution done. I am cutting up some anti skid pad right now ill report back tonight.
                        Haters gonna hate

Comment

anti skid pads? They're like adult diapers, aren't they?
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Yep, when I got my first SL2H, I was like WTF, this is terrible. I spent a month or so working on my picking technique, which was screwed up to begin with.... Now the my new picking style is second nature, have zero issues.

IMHO, use the felt or O-ring to tighten things up a bit and work into a comfortable picking technique.
                            Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

same here, it's the only thing I don't like about my SL2H. I've gotten used to moving my picking hand a littler closer to the neck
                              while playing this gutiar but I've often thought about pulling the tone knob out and moving the volume back there so it's out of my way.
                              I did this with a jackson Pro I used to have (when I pulled out the active stuff I plugged the volume knob adn moved it to the middle)
                              worked out great.
                              If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Working...
                              X