SL2 with EMG 85\60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL2 with EMG 85\60

Over many years I changed from the stock pickups to emg 81/85, the shortly afterwards to the 85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck, loved the bridge and the neck was just ok, then recently tried a 60 in the neck, and i have to say I love it ! great mix, sounds excellent on both clean and dirty. I dont use a tone control, dont seem to need one on this guitar, have a SPC fitted instead, so when I want those super creamy leads its all there
    This combo gets the thumbs up from me 10/10 !
    7 Charvels and a load of other stuff.

I've been saying that for years about EMGs. The 85 is awesome in the bridge with a 60 or 81 in the neck. The 81 in the bridge is a little bright and can work okay in mahogany, but the 85 has always worked better in the bridge for me.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Definitely, the 60 is arguably the best neck pickup EMG makes. Finally bit the bullet and got one to replace the 85 in my WRMG - never looking back!

Still prefer the 81 in the bridge compared to the 85, but this is a matter of which guitar the pickups are in. IMO, the 85 needs to be in a really bright guitar for it to sound right.

Comment

Yeah, everyone's opinion seems to be consistent. I like the 85b in anything with an ebony fretboard. With rosewood, I seem to think the 81b is better suited.

I'm really picky though... I don't like any SD I've tried so far and my favorite passive pickup is the Super Distortion.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
        X