Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
      Necro post.
      :think:

It's not even a day old

Comment

Just seems old
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

When I got my first Floyd Rose guitar I was it was a pain in the ass to setup and I wanted to get rid of it too, but I figured out how to set it up eventually. The owner of the store I bought my guitar in was really cool and showed me the in's and outs of a floating bridge. If you could find a small music store and have one of the guy's explain how to setup a Floyd Rose, that would be great.

Like everyone said one here, stretching your strings is a must. When your installing new strings stretch the hell out of them, by pulling on them, using the bar and by pressing the string down at the nut and bridge.

If your bridge is floating, you have to tune the strings in a different pattern as well.

Make sure your fine tuners on the bridge are half way out/in. Once you get the strings tense, start with:

(6)Low E
          (1)High E
          (5)A string
          (2)B string
          (4)D string
          (3)G string

Tune the string a little at a time by going from string 6-1, 5-2 and 4-3. Don't try to immediately bring each one to pitch. Once you go through each string back and forth, stretch your strings again, then go back again and re-tune them, because the stretching will probably cause them to go slightly out of tune. Once the strings are close to tune and your bridge is even, lock your locking nuts. The strings might be a little sharp or flat. Use the the fine tuners to tune the strings now.

The strings should be tuned and your good to go. You might still have to keep re-tuning if you didn't properly stretch the strings out though.

I might have left some steps and extra stuff out, but I'm sure someone else will come along and add some more... and probably say I'm doing it wrong
          Last edited by Maiden89; 01-22-2013, 06:44 PM.
          Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
          Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

I've noticed a lot of younger guys are anti-Floyd, but when pressed the typical answer is, "it's hard therefore it's stupid".

I think some of it has to do with everyone tuning down so low and not figuring out how to balance out the tension. To be honest, I thought it was hard too at first, but you figure it out and then you realize that it's not too hard and actually really cool.

Comment

I have no problems with 8-38s! You'll get used to it, hang in there! Wangbars rule!
              www.vvforums.com

Comment

go to a music store and get trem springs, either have it setup or set it up with 4 or 5 springs and 10's.

Comment

Setting up a Floyd is tricky at first, but after doing it a few times it becomes second nature. Honestly, when i was first learning how to do it it would take me an hour and a half to change the strings and tune to pitch and it would drive me insane. Now it takes me all of 10 minutes unless i'm changing string gauge or tuning - then it takes me 20. Lucky for you there are plenty of tutorials online on how to do this and countless tips but you'll get the hang of it eventually. Personally i wouldn't do without a Floyd.
                  It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                  ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Thanks for the help, I stretched the strings but not for 15 minutes as suggested. I'll give it a try this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                    X