Odd '87 Soloist OFR problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd '87 Soloist OFR problem.

Hi, I've dealt with some OFR issues before and they were all fairly basic problems. But recently my USA Soloist has been having some strange tuning issues. Never before have I had and issue with tuning but recently I will tune my guitar via the fine tuners (Until all of the strings are in balance with the springs) but whenever I shift the position of the guitar it almost seems as though the weight of the tremolo itself is cause the pitches to change up to 4 cents per string. I've checked the Kahler string lock and there doesn't appear to be any slippage and I've cleaned my Floyd and lubed the posts and made sure all screws were tight on the strings. I'm baffled here guys. Have any of you come across a problem similar to this? If so, do you have any solutions? Many thanks in advance!

could be the neck shifting. i had a dean that did that.

Comment

It's a neck through. Does that change anything?

Comment

Is the string lock rocking back and forth?

For info: If it's an OFR with a Kahler string lock (rather than the Kahler locking nut as on the 88 LTDs and a few others), the bridge has likely been swapped from a JT6 and the JT6 string lock has been replaced with the kahler one.
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Does the guitar return to zero pitch when you use the bar?

Comment

Did you make sure all 6 intonation screws are tight? One of those saddles might be creeping back and forth.

Comment

Yes, I had a very well respected tech do the swap for me. Up until a few months ago (around October) I never had any sort of problems with the guitar's tuning. I would take it back to said tech to have it examined but I'm going to school in Canada so my go to guy is nowhere near me. I've tripple checked all of the possible wobble spots minus the back cavity and they were all tight. My guess is that it could either be the neck, spring tension or wear on the string lock. It almost seems as though the weight of the tremolo itself is what is causing the shift. Yes, the guitar returns to zero pitch (within a cent or two) when I use the tremolo arm.

Comment

Are the posts loose at all? Some teflon tape on the threads can help that.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

im betting the truss rod is totally slack and the neck is shifting on its own weight when you move. hold the guitar normally play. hold it strings up like you were playing on your lap and then flip it over string pointed to the floor, if it goes sharp and then flat its your neck.

Comment

If that does end up being the case, what can I do to fix this problem? I'm almost certain it's not the truss rod as I have done some tweaking to accommodate weather changes.

Comment

Working...
                    X