Fret board cracks!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fret board cracks!!!!

I have a KV2 that is less than 3 months old and I am noticing very small cracks in the ebony fret board. Any suggestions to stop or help this would be greatly appreciated. Thx Guys!!!
    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Dr Bore oil is the most popular with the Les Paul crowd and myself and a few other here.

You need to oil the fretboard to keep it from drying out and cracking.

Comment

I have been using fast fret all the time and keeping it in the case when it's not in use. The fretboard is pretty well lubed up or it seems to be. Is fast fret okay because if not I will switch a.s.a.p.
      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

There are a gazillion different products and opinions on how to do this best and most are just fine. The key is that you are trying to lube it up and not dry it out so anything alcohol based would be a bad idea. Otherwise, any sort of product made to do this will be fine or you can use lemon or mineral oil. Can you share a pic so we can see what you are talking about?

Comment

I would love to post pics but as I am a newer member I have no idea how. If someone will tell me how to upload the pics I would be happy to as I have quite a few. Thank you to everyone who has responded and are trying to help me figure this out.

Comment

I use Forby's lemon oil on my rosewood. I put a drop on each fret, rub it in with a finger and let it sit for about an hour. I follow up with a microfiber towel and then do it one more time but I don't let it sit. Put it on, rub it in and remove. It's never failed me on about 50 guitars I've used it on.

Comment

You don't upload pictures. You host pictures on a web service like you ISP, photobucket, or similar. Then link here with the image tags.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                You don't upload pictures. You host pictures on a web service like you ISP, photobucket, or similar. Then link here with the image tags.
                Thank you DonP!!

Comment

Bore oil is best on an ebony fret board.

Comment

What about the frets with the inlays?

Do you avoid applying the bore oil to those frets?
                    sigpic
                    Action Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Nimitz View Post
                      What about the frets with the inlays?

Do you avoid applying the bore oil to those frets?
                      Inlays are a non issue. I try to avoid getting the oil on the frets because it can wick down into the fret slot and loosen the fret out.

Comment

Use mineral oil and soak the board repeatedly until it will no longer accept the oil. Mineral is NOT a petroleum based product therefore it will not flash off / soak in as quick as Lemon oil, which can eventually compound the cracking. Mineral oil should swell the board and the cracks will disappear. Ebony needs to be oiled on a regular basis depending on the climate you live in.

If the cracks are bad enough, you drop fill them with super glue , scrape and polish or wool the board , easy fix.
                        That was a tip straight from Tim Wilson and it has saved a couple Jacksons for me in past years.

Comment

When I said "frets" I mean the wood in between them with the inlays... try to avoid getting mineral spirits on the inlays?

I really need to take my guitar to a professional... just don't trust anyone around here.
                          sigpic
                          Action Jackson

Comment

No mineral spirits mineral oil. Personally I used gun stock oil for the longest time. After a trip to the local home labrianth I'm using some other stuff that seems a bit thicker but seems to work great.

Comment

Originally posted by peedenmark7 View Post
                              Use mineral oil and soak the board repeatedly until it will no longer accept the oil. Mineral is NOT a petroleum based product therefore it will not flash off / soak in as quick as Lemon oil, which can eventually compound the cracking. Mineral oil should swell the board and the cracks will disappear. Ebony needs to be oiled on a regular basis depending on the climate you live in.
                              Lemon oil is just scented mineral oil. As far a petroleum products... Jackson's old user's manual used to tell you to use vaseline. You can even use 1040 or 1030 motor oil like Jimmy D'Aquisto, the acoustic guitar maker suggested.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X