Please help me judging the value of this '99 CS Soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me judging the value of this '99 CS Soloist

Hey guys, I've just got a trade offer with a '99 pre-Fender Custom Shop SL2H for my '98 PC1 and I can't decide if it's worth dealing for or not. According to the owner it was made back in '99, alder body with maple neck and Indian rosewood fretboard, reverse headstock, original Floyd, pickups are replaced with a Gibson 500T and some unidentified stuff in the neck position. Here are a couple o' pics, any help would be appreciated.

It's a pretty standard guitar but with a rev head and rev inlays, and I'd bet that's just a regular ebony board. Did he tell you the serial number?

Pre-Fender doesn't make any difference.

If you like the guitar, I'd say a direct swap for a PC1 wouldn't be a horrible deal.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I would never trade a custom shop guitar for any production model so if i were you I would be thinking the deal is a little sketchy unless he has the custom shop certificate of authenticity and I agree with Neille that is a gaboon ebony fret board like any other production USA Jackson. Also bro a PC1 is a killer guitar so think long and hard about it. I personally would rather have the Custom Shop model because it has more value than a production model and is "supposedly" built from better materials and more hand attention to detail. Lastly make sure you play the other guitar and take it to a Jackson dealer to have it looked at before you trade. You don't want to trade a diamond for a turd. Just my thoughts, hope they help.
      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Looks like a nice dark rosewood to me.

Comment

What color is the PC1? What headstock does it have? Do you like the fat neck on the PC1 (or so I've heard).

If the PC1 isn't a rare desirable color, has the crappy headstock, and a fat neck, I'd be all over that swap.

Comment

I would take that deal but then again I like reverse headstocks and two hum soloist.
            Do you like bolt on or neck thrus? Does that center pickup on the PC get in your way (I have a couple of SL1's that I wish were SL2's)?
            Unfortunately, the PC1 modified strat headstock models seem to bring a decent amount less than the strat head ones. I could be wrong but dollar for dollar the CS seems to be the better deal...IF you like it better. My 2 cents.
            No honey, I have always had this Jackson....

Comment

I'd do that trade in a heartbeat.

A Sears headstock PC-1 for a CS Soloist? That's a no-brainer, IMO.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Was 98 still when the PC1 had the Charvel 'San Dimas Reissue' series head before the ballsack?

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                  Was 98 still when the PC1 had the Charvel 'San Dimas Reissue' series head before the ballsack?
                  Oh, I'm not sure... I just know they're both not stratheads...

Comment

I'm with Big Al & xenophobe on this one.
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Thanks for all the thougths shared here, my PC1 is an early model from '98 with the first headstock (they've changed it after the first couple o' years in production for a bulkier, more rounded headstock that looked horrible IMO, the one I own has a more strat-like headstock but not a Fender-one), color is mocha and it's mint condition like it has never been played before. I really love that guitar, only thing that bothers me is the middle pickup which always gets in the way when I pick but other than that I love all the bits 'n pieces of the axe. I wouldn't trade it for this custom shop Soloist without trying but as I love SL2's this offer is tempting big time

Comment

Mine looks like this:

with this kind of headstock:

Comment

Originally posted by denii View Post
                          I wouldn't trade it for this custom shop Soloist without trying but as I love SL2's this offer is tempting big time
                          I would. If you don't like the CS Soloist, you can sell it, buy a new PC1 and have a few bucks left over.

Comment

I'm personally not a fan of the PC1 headstocks, other than the current production Stratheads. So I'd be coming home with a CS Soloist if it was me
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                              I would. If you don't like the CS Soloist, you can sell it, buy a new PC1 and have a few bucks left over.
                              I doubt that Mike - have you seen how much a new PC1 is selling for? That Soloist isn't special enough to generate a high price IMO..

Comment

Working...
                              X