Jackson KE2: making pickups coil-tapable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson KE2: making pickups coil-tapable

To be honest my beloved Jackson hasn't seen much playtime since I bought myself a PRS Custom 24. One of the main advantages of my PRS is the fact that I have more switching possibilities. I would really like to be able to coiltap my Jackson, so it can become my main Axe again.

Does anyone has experience with modding his Jackson this way? Can I do it with the original pickups?

yeah, that should be possible with the stock pickups, although you would have to find some way of controlling the coil split. An easy solution might be to use the Seymour Duncan Triple Shot mounting rings. I'm using those on one of my Jackson to achieve various wirings (parallel, series, coil split).

Comment

You can indeed wire up your Duncans for coil tapping provided they have four conductor wiring. If i were you i'd use a push-pull pot rather than the Triple Shot mounting rings. Those would be better suited if you were using Duncan P-Rails. I would drop SD an email and ask for a wiring diagram and some advice.
      It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
      ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Devotee, just curious, why wouldn't you want to use the Triple Shot? You mean it would be overkill if all you want to do is coil split?

As for push-pull pots, that's of course an option but it requires a bit more work than the Triple Shot. It's somewhat difficult to find good quality push-pull pots, though, and they're kind of expensive. But, then again, the Triple Shot are also kind of expensive.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response everyone! Those mounting rings look like a convenient and easy solution, but to be honest I don't like the looks of it and I doubt they are really handy for quick changes.

I have taken a quick picture of the cavity/wiring. Could anyone tell me whether I have 4-conductur pups? I see four color codes on one pickup, but I'm not sure about the other?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Yeah, those look like the 4-conducter type pickups. You can tell from the red and white pair of wires that are connected.

Comment

Originally posted by javert View Post
              Yeah, those look like the 4-conducter type pickups. You can tell from the red and white pair of wires that are connected.
              Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
              X