Nopc1d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nopc1d

I'd been on the lookout for an old PC1 (koa, no tone control) for a decent while and about 6 months ago this one popped up on ebay. It didn't seem to attract too much interest for whatever reason, and I got it for a shade over $1200. It was a US only auction, but Dave very graciously agreed to act as middleman for me and he even did a full fret job and setup on it It plays and sounds waaaaaaay better than my (circa 2007) former PC1 which I never really got on with too well, as it had sustainer issues plus I thought overall the pickups were pretty terrible. Part of the reason I was looking for a 'cheap' one was that I had planned to gut the electronics and replace all the pickups. But that's not necessary at all in this guitar - the sustainer works perfectly and the bridge pickup sounds great. I don't think I'll ever be a fan of the sustainer-driver as a pickup, but it's OK I guess. Just. Overall it's in great shape - there are a few scratches which will probably polish out if I can be bothered and a strange little 'blob' between the front two pickups. But the figuring pretty much hides it all so unless you're really looking, the guitar appears to be in 95% condition!

Yes, it has the ballsack head which isn't ideal but there are so few with the mid-90s 'San Dimas Reissue' head that I was always going to have to deal with this head if I wanted a koa one:

The colour changes a lot depending on the light - under house lighting with the curtains shut it looks green, but in the bright light it looks light blue. But whatever, it looks a shit-ton better than the current 'clumsy burst' that chlorine seems to have mutated into.

Yummy koa!

I must include a massive thanks to Dave both for acting as middle-man for the purchase, but also for going way over and above the call of duty with the fretwork!!
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Cool looking PC1. I like the figuring in the fretboard and the koa back looks great too. Nice score.

Comment

Ball sack or no I've always loved the quilt fingerboard over the flame. Can't get that anymore.

Comment

Nice guitar!

Awesome color & very cool fingerboard.

Comment

Wow, it looks incredible. Congrats!

Comment

Holy shit!!!!

An older PC1 and koa too for around $1200 !!!

Damm sweet score!!!!

Comment

Congrats.

You aren't kidding, that blue is worlds apart from the current chlorine. Looks great.

Comment

Congrats, Ian. That looks great. The old SD headstock doesn't bother me in the least. Personally, I think it's just about the best "quasi" strathead-looking design that any company has gotten away with.

And completely agree that the vintage chlorine on older PC1s just flat out blows away the current ugly version. Quit frankly, IMHO Jackson jumped the shark with all of the trans-colored USA Select finishes several years ago, when they stopped using analyne dye and degraded the quality of flame & quilt-tops being used. Every now and then you'll see a good one, but mostly not. Honestly, I'd find it hard to order a trans finish USA Jackson now, unless it was a full-on custom shop order where those can be spec'd to the former (higher) standard.

Comment

wow, I didn't realise how much the colour shifted on those. Very nice.
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Congrats it sure looks nice.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Love that color, that with the Koa is a winner!
                      RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                      RIP Dime

Comment

That is sweet . I've never seen a quilted fretboard before, it looks fantastic.
                        Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
                        Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

Sweet!! This one looks amazing!! Congrats!!
                          Gear

Jackson KV2 Blue Ghost Flames
                          Jackson DK1 Lightning Sky

http://youtu.be/QgffP2mRU5w
                          http://youtu.be/WYEEje1M3hQ
                          http://youtu.be/UfhVSt5LtrI

Comment

That is insane!
                            I would put it on the hanger backwards just to show that Koa off.

Congratz!

Comment

That guitar look insane!!..The fretboard looks awesome...congrats!!

Comment

Working...
                              X