Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why?

Why most of the American sellers on ebay don't ship items to foreign countries?(even with shipping costs payed by the buyer)

I often wonder that. If the economy is as bad as is reported, you'd think they'd be accepting any business they can get.

In some cases, they've been burnt, so then refuse to deal with internationals. I don't see the difference between the other side of the
    country & the other side of the world, you either get paid or get shafted.

Comment

Because it's a pain in the ass?
      It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
      ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

I have had nothing but problems shipping outside the US. The tracking doesn't seem to always work so it seems every time there was a tracking issue the item never showed up, a case was opened, and I lost money and the item. The carriers don't seem to like to take printed copies of NAD or NGD forum threads with the item that 'never showed up' as proof that it actually did. The first time was just some random event by a scumbag but the second was a pattern. I don't ship outside the US anymore as it just isn't worth the risk or hassle anymore.

Comment

No accountability once the item reaches international boundaries.
          sigpic
          Action Jackson

Comment

^ this

Too easy to get ripped off by either an "emerging market" buyer or there's just no accountability from the carrier, who might not have a local office (UPS).

Not to mention the Customs Forms are a hassle, there are insurance limits ($600 if shipping to Germany), and they don't want to deal with the whole "can you please understate the value on he customs form so I don't get raped in taxes", followed by "oh noes, it broke in shipping, I want my money back", which is a problem because the insurance will only pay the declared value.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I understand it can be a pain in the ass if the buyer has no experience on buying from another country on ebay. If the buyer has a good feedback I don't see why they can't ship to other countries. Some sellers are even rude when you ask them.

Comment

If all your experience comes from within your own country, or is for considerably less-expensive items, then it is irrelevant.

Most sellers who refuse to ship internationally have been burned by doing so, whether it's the "foreign bank draft" or "foreign bank check" scam "because I don't have any other legitimate/protected means of international payment".

I do see this as a problem, though. The internet has spread faster than the accompanying economic possibilities, largely due to "someone" wanting to keep a stranglehold on the payment options (Ebay/PayPal). This means there's no international cooperation, but I'm sure Ebay/PayPal would gladly handle global transactions (i.e. establish a monopoly).
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I can speak for myself, I have a feedback score of 172, and no negative feedback. There's no ebay in Brazil, so the feedback is from USA and Japan basically. I always use paypal and even then some sellers refuse to ship to me. It's funny as I see people selling stuff for dirt cheap because "the economy is bad" but they don't want our money.

Comment

Anything that goes Priority or Express mail gets a customs look in for sure when it arrives in the UK, then it goes down to UK Parcel Farce handling it and anything could happen and you loose tracking, although a signature should be required on the doorstep, I don't know if the stateside seller is privy to this trackability and it is meant for the buyer. First Class Flat rate is a gamble on behalf of the seller but will attract less attention over here. I find some shops will do first class international on small items, but they are basically potentially throwing that money away twice over and take the gamble on your feedback score which I really appreciate.

Anything shipped DHL should be OK though, international door to door, but the shipping costs with insurance might put international sellers off. From my experience, with (Atypical) family in the US, most private sellers just cannot be arsed with the hassle and the possibility of loosing the item and being charged back for the cost of it and I don't blame them really, when if they sit on it, it will sell nationally and be covered.

Unless insurance was guaranteed and I was making at least an extra $100 on an item, frankly I wouldn't be arsed to post a large item internationally either.
                    Last edited by ginsambo; 04-08-2013, 05:23 PM.
                    You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

I'm more than happy to sell internationally to people I know from guitar boards, but selling internationally on eBay is a big risk. The buyer can simply do a fraudulent charge-back and the seller has no recourse, since PayPal's protections (such as they are) don't apply to international transactions.

Believe me, I'd love to, since I could make more money on sales that way.

Comment

There are various restrictions on package sizes to different regions, and it is hard to research in advance. You show up at the USPS and it is pot luck as to whether they will ship the damn thing or or not.

Comment

I live in Japan and have shipped guitars to members of this board who live in the UK, the USA, New Zealand, and Slovenia.

However, on items that I sell on Yahoo! Auction, I state "Will not ship internationally" because I foresee the possibility of a big hassle/getting ripped off if the item is made available to every Tom Dick and Harry who has access to the internet.

I've also bought a couple of guitars from members of this board who live in the US, but had them ship to my FPO box at a US Navy base so that international shipping rates, customs, etc. didn't apply.
                          Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Both buyer and seller take risks in shipping regardless of location. Everyone is at the mercy of the courior and customs. Such is life.
                            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

There's certainly more opportunity for things to go wrong the further an item is shipped and possibly with multiple carriers. I've personally shipped only once outside of the CONUS. Thankfully everything went smoothly, the details are a little fuzzy in my head because it's been a minute. There was 2-3 different shippers involved to get an axe to Norway....
                              Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Working...
                              X