Need help with history on "King V Prototype #1"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with history on "King V Prototype #1"

Hello everyone. I picked up a guitar an I am in need of the JCF experts.

I picked this up from a Guitar Center in IL. They claimed it to be a 1997 KV2 "prototype #1 of 2". From the pics I figured it older due to the headstock decall, knobs & toggle switch and 22 frets. I was not as interested with the "prototype" claims as I was to it being a string through. I knew it was worth the price based on that alone. Once I got it I saw that the serial # (J5776) makes it a 1990 and along with the mentioned details and case with the wooden badge I figured that to be the correct time era. I removed the neck pickup and it has a label on the inside reading "Prototype #1". I emailed and called Jackson and spoke with 3 different people and since theie data base only goes back to 1993 no one could give me any history on it. I am hoping that someone here can shed some light on it. I am guessing that it was a prototype for what became the production line of the King V's.

What I know:
    1990 Serial # J5776
    label on inside cavity on neck pickup "Prototype #1"
    J50N neck pickup
    J90 bridge pickup
    Jackson has no history based upon serial #

Everything is stock with the exception:
    -Dunlop Strap Locks which I installed
    -I changed the stock bridge for a TonePros Locking version

If anyone has some insight on it I would truely appreciate it. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks for your time and help,

Tonesfoyobones
    photo31.jpgphoto28.jpg

photo22.jpgphoto19.jpgphoto 17.jpg

photo30.jpg
    Last edited by tonesfoyobones; 08-20-2013, 12:43 PM.

I have some insight. Its fuckin awesome! nice score.
    -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Awesome guitar bro!!! I can't see how it would be a prototype because from what I know King V's have been around since way before 1990. Either way nice grab. What did you pay if you don't mind me asking? It could be a King V custom because when they started making them all the way up until 1990 that's what all King V's were called if they had an ebony board neck binding and shark fins. I may be wrong but that's just my guess. The Jackson website says it falls in the Ontario builds and it's a custom neck through.
      Last edited by leftykingv2; 08-20-2013, 07:45 PM.
      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

That sticker looks like it was printed on a newer type of label printer. It's exactly the thing unscrupulous sellers would do to inflate trade in value at a store employing non-skeptical staff.

"This one is special, it's a prototype, so it was probably made by Mike Shannon out of fresh baby seals!"

It's a nice guitar but without some kind of provenance outside of a guys word of mouth and a sticker in the pickup cavity, it's just a really nice string through KV.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Interesting mystery. Are those jumbo frets?

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
            Interesting mystery. Are those jumbo frets?
            Not sure. I will have to check when I get home.

I wasn't holding my breath on the prototype jibber jabby. I was sold on the fact that it was a string through and was banking on it being older than the claimed "1997". If it turned out to have some nice Jackson history to it well then that's just icing on the cake.

Thanks for your input guys. Eitherway it play's and sounds amazing!

Comment

Like I said it's a 1990 Custom neck through according to the Jackson website.
              This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

The Double-Rhoads was the only KV available until 1993, IIRC, when Mustaine came aboard and wanted a smaller version. However, that was 24 frets and had a Kahler flatmount (some reports say he asked for it, and he stated in at least one interview that "they (meaning Jackson) put that tone-sucking Kahler bridge on it").

The serial number definitely puts it as a Custom Shop, as does the 22 frets and (I'm assuming) non-Double-Rhoads size, and the string-through setup.
                However, unless someone put in those pickups and took out the Duncans or DiMarzios any sane person would have ordered it with, it would fall in line with being a Prototype.

But, there's also J0005, the one KK Downing had, which was not a DR. However I think that was also more along the lines of the Kerry King BC Rich V in terms of body shape.

If someone knew what Mustaine's first KV serial was, that would probably tell a bit more.

In any event, if a feller was looking for a 22 fret KV with stringthrough setup, I'd say that was the one regardless of anything else.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

http://www.jacksonguitarpalace.com/davemustaine/ The black one with the Kahler and the Megadeth Decal was #J2713. This link tells all about Dave's Jacksons. The order form for the first KV he ever ordered from Sam Ash is on here too. Notice he only paid $779.99 because Jackson or Sam Ash gave him a 15% discount. Just look through the page on his guitars and you'll find out everything about his axes.
                  Last edited by leftykingv2; 08-20-2013, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                    The Double-Rhoads was the only KV available until 1993, IIRC, when Mustaine came aboard and wanted a smaller version. However, that was 24 frets and had a Kahler flatmount (some reports say he asked for it, and he stated in at least one interview that "they (meaning Jackson) put that tone-sucking Kahler bridge on it").

The serial number definitely puts it as a Custom Shop, as does the 22 frets and (I'm assuming) non-Double-Rhoads size, and the string-through setup.
                    However, unless someone put in those pickups and took out the Duncans or DiMarzios any sane person would have ordered it with, it would fall in line with being a Prototype.

But, there's also J0005, the one KK Downing had, which was not a DR. However I think that was also more along the lines of the Kerry King BC Rich V in terms of body shape.

If someone knew what Mustaine's first KV serial was, that would probably tell a bit more.

In any event, if a feller was looking for a 22 fret KV with stringthrough setup, I'd say that was the one regardless of anything else.
                    Newc. Thanks for the knowledge bro!

Comment

Where was the GC?

Comment

Originally posted by pjg View Post
                        Where was the GC?
                        I do believe he said Illinois.

Comment

Great info guys. As always this is the only place to be to find out anything on Jackson's. All 3 guy's at Jackson agreed with me that JCF was the only place to dig up any possible info on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                            Didn't Dave's first one have 22 frets? Also, I thought there were 3 sizes of the KV (maybe I'm wrong), similar to how the Kelly went through three different sizes.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Anyone have any ideas on what the body and neck wood might be? Killer looking guitar!

Comment

Working...
                              X