No announcement yet.

'91 Solosist Custom with medium frets??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '91 Solosist Custom with medium frets??

So when it comes to early 90's Soloists was it common for them to have medium size frets? I see on descriptions of the SL1 that it typically has jumbo frets... but this Soloist Custom I just purchased seems to have frets that are one size down from my RG550 which is described as having Jumbos... any ideas?
    Here's the guitar I bought:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/300982547386...84.m1423.l2649

Edit: Misspelled thread title due to early morning grogginess...
    Last edited by guitorture; 10-09-2013, 08:25 AM.

They look jumbo to me, but some Jacksons do have medium frets, like that KV1 and KV2, as well as the Mark Morton model. Your best bet is to contact our member Murkat, as you just bought that from him, see what other info he can give you. He had it for sale here in the Classifieds.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by guitorture View Post
      So when it comes to early 90's Soloists was it common for them to have medium size frets? I see on descriptions of the SL1 that it typically has jumbo frets... but this Soloist Custom I just purchased seems to have frets that are one size down from my RG550 which is described as having Jumbos... any ideas?
      Here's the guitar I bought:
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/300982547386...84.m1423.l2649

Edit: Misspelled thread title due to early morning grogginess...
      Did you consider that the guitar may have been played (it is 22 year old after all), the frets wear down, and sometime fret leveling has been done which makes them even less tall?

Comment

Well I've seen guitars with fret wear in the past, and it usually seems like certain areas will have more wear than others (like frets 1-5) but this Soloist seems to have a pretty even fret height across the neck. I suppose a prior fret leveling is likely.

Comment

Based on those pics, they look like Jackson's typical jumbo frets. Keep in mind that every manufacturer has their own idea of what jumbo is. My ESP has extra jumbo frets but they don't seem any bigger than Jackson's jumbo.

Comment

Hey that was for sale on here for a while! I was trying to get it but was too late. How does it play?

Comment

Nice grab!!! I wanted that guitar too but couldn't swing the cash for it at the time. I second that on how does she play and feel?
              I like black and white guitars

Comment

I'm pretty sure it will play beautifully after a proper set up. Unfortunately as of now the truss rod is way too tight, basically the high E string is smashed against 12th fret when 1st and 24th fret is held down. Also the action is stupid low with horrendous buzz and almost unplayable. Nothing overly detrimental, just needs some TLC. I'll try to post a more accurate opinion after I do a full setup Friday or Saturday.

Comment

They look like Jumbos to me as well.
                  This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it will play beautifully after a proper set up. Unfortunately as of now the truss rod is way too tight, basically the high E string is smashed against 12th fret when 1st and 24th fret is held down. Also the action is stupid low with horrendous buzz and almost unplayable. Nothing overly detrimental, just needs some TLC. I'll try to post a more accurate opinion after I do a full setup Friday or Saturday.
                    well, sorry it got out of wack for you. Climate? Altitude? Plenty to contribute to.
                    Fwiw, I did have the action very low due to my F'd up hands (CTS both wrists).
                    Congrats. I hope it serves you well.
                    >^v^<

Comment

Originally posted by murkat View Post
                      well, sorry it got out of wack for you. Climate? Altitude? Plenty to contribute to.
                      Fwiw, I did have the action very low due to my F'd up hands (CTS both wrists).
                      Congrats. I hope it serves you well.
                      Oh no worries, sir. I raised the bridge and was able to obtain a 1/4 socket wrench for the truss rod bolt and its playing nicely now. Thanks again! Awesome guitar...
                      Edit: And I just left you positive Ebay feedback... wanted to have a week or so to check it out first.
                      Last edited by guitorture; 10-19-2013, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Congrats dude! I saw that in the classifieds and it was a steal price on a killer guitar!
                        This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
                          Congrats dude! I saw that in the classifieds and it was a steal price on a killer guitar!
                          Indeed! I've always wanted a USA model ever since my SL4 (which I owned from '02 to '06). The SL4 didn't have the recessed neck heel that this thing has, and I want to say in general the SL4's neck was maybe slightly thicker than this Custom's.

Comment

Indeed! I've always wanted a USA model ever since my SL4 (which I owned from '02 to '06). The SL4 didn't have the recessed neck heel that this thing has, and I want to say in general the SL4's neck was maybe slightly thicker than this Custom's.
                            I wasn't aware that it was a custom. I thought that was a USA Soloist. P.S. If the serial number starts with a "U" It's not a custom. If it's a neck through (which it is) and it's from the Ontario shop circa 91 and doesn't have a "J" serial number it's not a custom shop guitar. I have no idea why this guitar was listed as a custom. http://www.jacksonguitars.com/suppor...al-numbers.php
                            Last edited by leftykingv2; 10-19-2013, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
                              I wasn't aware that it was a custom. I thought that was a USA Soloist. P.S. If the serial number starts with a "U" It's not a custom. If it's a neck through (which it is) and it's from the Ontario shop circa 91 and doesn't have a "J" serial number it's not a custom shop guitar. I have no idea why this guitar was listed as a custom. http://www.jacksonguitars.com/suppor...al-numbers.php
                              Probably a mistake by the seller. Early Soloists with the ebony and sharkies were designated as "Customs", as opposed to the "Students" with rosewood boards and dots. So, for San Dimas-era guitars, "Soloist Custom" has a very specific meaning that has nothing to do with the ordering process. However, by '91 that was no longer the case, and production American-made Soloists from that era were simply known as the "Soloist USA."

Comment

Working...
                              X