Question about string-spacing and Jackson Tune-O-Matics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about string-spacing and Jackson Tune-O-Matics

I've read a few bits and pieces that indicate that the tune-o-matics Jackson uses are F-spaced.

Can anyone tell me if that is correct?

Correct. Most modern tune-o-matic bridges line up better with trem-spaced pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by Munkipuss View Post
      I've read a few bits and pieces that indicate that the tune-o-matics Jackson uses are F-spaced.

Can anyone tell me if that is correct?
      +1 Chad and..........This post belongs in the TECH Q&A section Munkipuss.
      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Apologies for that. Mods, feel free to move.

Thanks for the replies.

As an aside, can anyone tell me what the radius of the tune-o-matics used on the USA guitars is?
        Last edited by Munkipuss; 10-20-2013, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Apologies for that. Mods, feel free to move.

Thanks for the replies.

As an aside, can anyone tell me what the radius of the tune-o-matics used on the USA guitars is?
          I am not sure about Jackson's but I know the standard radius for a Gibson T.O.M is 12"
          This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I was wondering whether it was actually a flatter radius to accommodate the typical 12"-16" compound radius Jackson neck.

Comment

I've found with my Jackson TOM guitars that while the spacing is F, the pickup routes sometimes need massaging to fit a F spaced bucker. Especially if it's covered.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

+1 Hellbat.

Comment

I was wondering whether it was actually a flatter radius to accommodate the typical 12"-16" compound radius Jackson neck.
                  If you look at a USA fret board closely you can actually see the radius fairly easily. When you look at it from the headstock down you can see it start to flatten out as it gets to the higher register of frets. Jackson's standard radius is 12"-16" but if you order a custom shop guitar you can have any fret board radius and back shape you want. Also keep in mind that the term "Radius" is only used to describe the curve of the fret board. Not the neck itself. These are what Jackson offers for fret board radius. The first three are very old school and not compound radius. like the 7.25" is Tele style and the 12" is Gibson style And yes what Jackson does for the "Standard" radius is considered by most a flatter radius. 7.25" N/C 9.5" N/C
                  12" N/C
                  Compound: 12" to 16" (Standard) N/C
                  Compound: 7.25" to 9.5" N/C
                  Compound: 7.25" to 12" N/C
                  Compound: 7.25" to 16" N/C
                  Compound: 9.5" to 12" N/C
                  Compound: 9.5" to 16" N/C Compound: 14” to 21” (Bass) And this is what Jackson offers for neck back shapes; Standard- 790-850 N/C Speed 775-835 N/C Dinky 750-810 N/C
                  Classic 735-825 N/C
                  Special $250 This entails ANY shape you can think of. I prefer the speed neck profile that is on all USA Select KE2's and KV2's. Some people prefer the standard which is found on all USA Select soloists and Rhoads models.
                  Last edited by leftykingv2; 10-22-2013, 05:39 AM.

Comment

I thought that Jackson's TOM bridges were a 15" radius. I might be wrong, but that number sticks in my head for some reason.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I just talked to my friend at FMIC Bradley Shelton and he's informed me about the bridge radius. I'll use his exact quote to explain it. "The bridge Radius always mirrors the radius closest to the nut. So for a 12"-16" compound radius the bridge radius will be 12." Hope this helps.
                      Last edited by leftykingv2; 10-24-2013, 06:21 AM.

Comment

I've done some research myself, and I believe that Jackson use a Schaller TOM, which is F-spaced, and has a 14" radius.

Comment

I've done some research myself, and I believe that Jackson use a Schaller TOM, which is F-spaced, and has a 14" radius.
                          Sorry to tell you but you're dead wrong. I'll give you the phone number for Jackson if you want but like I said in the above post Bradley Shelton is a personal friend of mine and has worked for FMIC for 14 years (This is the company that owns Jackson guitars.) It ALWAYS mirrors the radius closest to the nut. So unless your guitar has a 14" measurement closest to the nut then you have a standard 12" Jackson compensated and adjustable string thru body Bridge. If your guitar is a USA Select model it has a standard radius of 12" to 16" so your bridge radius is 12". Call and ask for yourself if you don't believe me here's the number Munkipuss 480-596-9690.
                          Last edited by leftykingv2; 10-29-2013, 08:20 PM.

Comment

I just took a radius gauge to two of my KV2Ts with the strings on, and well, somewhere damn close between 12 and 14. So yeah, I'd say 12 is a pretty accurate number.
                            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                              I just took a radius gauge to two of my KV2Ts with the strings on, and well, somewhere damn close between 12 and 14. So yeah, I'd say 12 is a pretty accurate number.
                              Like I said I didn't pull the number out of thin air. My friend Bradley actually had to make a call and ask a luthier in the Corona shop because he didn't even know the correct answer. The bridge radius ALWAYS mirrors the radius at the nut. Period.
                              Last edited by leftykingv2; 10-30-2013, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X