Control Placement: USA Soloist vs. USA Dinky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control Placement: USA Soloist vs. USA Dinky

I've never played a USA Dinky before, but looking at photos I wonder: are the control knobs and switches further away from the bridge pickup ring on USA Dinkys compared to USA Soloists? Meaning, are the controls, like, 1/2 inch away from the bridge pickup and Floyd, but closer to the body's edge on a USA Dinky?

Really? Nobody here owns a SL-2H and a DK-1?

Comment

I have one of each and my DK-1 volume knob is a half inch lower than the SL-2H. It is roughly the same placement, right where the pick-up screw is just a half inch lower. So you are correct.
      I like black and white guitars

Comment

Originally posted by walshula View Post
        I have one of each and my DK-1 volume knob is a half inch lower than the SL-2H. It is roughly the same placement, right where the pick-up screw is just a half inch lower. So you are correct.
        So, do you feel like you have more room for you picking hand?

Comment

On the DK-1 I do. It feels nice just being dropped a little lower. It isn't moved back any, just dropped a half inch. It definitely gives you more room with the ability for easy access to the volume knob. I like it alot to be honest.

Comment

What about just the body's general size? Is the DK1 smaller than the SL-2H? I've read that there is a size difference, however, I can't really see any difference in photos.

Comment

I have a dr3 and dkmg, both of which have the 'in the way' knob. 1 is worse than the other.
              I also have a dinky and soloist from the mid 80's (Usa made). Neither of those give me any problems with the first knob.

All 4 have different bodies.

Comment

Originally posted by claxor View Post
                What about just the body's general size? Is the DK1 smaller than the SL-2H? I've read that there is a size difference, however, I can't really see any difference in photos.
                The DK1 and SL2H bodies should be the same size... just the Dinky is bolt-on and the Soloist is neck-thru.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  The DK1 and SL2H bodies should be the same size... just the Dinky is bolt-on and the Soloist is neck-thru.
                  This is correct, I see or feel no difference in size.

Comment

I agree both feel the same body wise . But the neck shape is completely different . I had a sl1 , sl2h and a sl2ht and sold them all and kept the DK1.
                    Mike
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Originally posted by Model 88 View Post
                      I agree both feel the same body wise . But the neck shape is completely different . I had a sl1 , sl2h and a sl2ht and sold them all and kept the DK1.
                      Really? What would you describe as the differences in neck shape/feel?

Comment

the body shape is only slightly different, in the cutaways and horns. the dinky has deeper more rounded cutaways, and the soloist has slightly longer horns. the dinkys and soloists I have the volume knob is in the exact same place, tho mine are all '86s.

Comment

Originally posted by claxor View Post
                          Really? What would you describe as the differences in neck shape/feel?
                          The DK1 has a thinner neck.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It's oiled, too. The soloist is painted.

Comment

Working...
                            X