CS order that models a vintage fender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS order that models a vintage fender

hey all. i have a crazy idea for a CS order. i want to see what you think...

i have really gotten into playing vintage style guitars lately. over the past year or two i have picked up a gretsch duo jet, a jazzmaster, a duo sonic, a few telecasters, more strats - you get the idea. anyway, i have fallen in love with the neck profiles/radius' and overall feel of those guitars. sadly, aside from the gretsch, they do not perform well on stage with my band's music. so, what i want to do is create a bit of a "jackson meets a vintage guitar" kind of vibe...

for you CS ordering experts i may need a little help clarifying some of the specs. here's the quick rundown:

dinky
    single hum
    alder
    reverse AT-1 headstock
    1/4 sawn maple neck
    rosewood board
    pearl dots

* here is my first question on specs - i want that old school handpainted logo (in black) on a tinted maple headstock. would that be something the CS would do?

medium frets
    25.5 scale

* here is my second question on specs - i like the old fender 7.25 radius, but i also like the newer 9.5 radius. in keeping with the jackson playability though, which would make more sense (from my perspective) - a compound radius 7.25 to 9.5, or a compound radius 9.5 to 12?

* next question is about the neck back shape - i would LOVE to have jackson make a neck shape like a 60's strat. would they do that?

then for the finish, i would kind of like to do a "closet classic" fender style relic finish - it looks kinda old, maybe some checking on the paint, but not all beat up looking. would jackson do that?

and before anyone asks, i don't want a CS fender because the overall vibe of playing a fender doesn't fit my band - i want a hybrid

thanks!!
    Last edited by markD; 01-09-2014, 12:22 PM.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

First off Mark it sounds like a killer idea! I don't see why they wouldn't. If they have a problem duplicating something from Fender than just give them the details you want and don't tell them where they are from. The only truly helpful thing I can add is, be as specific as you can be in regards to the neck shape. Take measurements, do a drawing if you can. That will be your best shot. Again, awesome idea.
    "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Why not order a CS So Cal? You'd be able to pull off that vintage vibe better IMO with that head stock and full size strat body...with a more modern profile you'd be getting the best of both worlds
      I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

bombtek - i want a dinky body. i currently am gigging between my PC-1 and my adrian smith, and find i like the dinky body better when playing live over the full sized strat body.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
          * here is my first question on specs - i want that old school handpainted logo (in black) on a tinted maple headstock. would that be something the CS would do?
          I assume you mean the original-style logo, ala Rhoads' first two Jacksons. If so, yes. I've done it myself, including one in a different color (white). However, make sure you include a picture of the exact logo style you want with your spec sheet. A written description may not be good enough to avoid confusion.

* here is my second question on specs - i like the old fender 7.25 radius, but i also like the newer 9.5 radius. in keeping with the jackson playability though, which would make more sense (from my perspective) - a compound radius 7.25 to 9.5, or a compound radius 9.5 to 12?
          That's personal preference, bro, so it's entirely up to you. My gut sense, though, is that if you've been playing J/Cs heavily for most of your life, go with the wider radius. In fact, you may want to stick with the standard 12-16. Although you may be digging the "vintage" spec now because it's new and cool to you, you may later find yourself later regretting it and wanting to go back to your original preferences. ...Done that myself a few times. Personal preferences change over time, and that's cool - but they also frequently change back! LOL

* next question is about the neck back shape - i would LOVE to have jackson make a neck shape like a 60's strat. would they do that?
          Should be very do-able, but you'd likely need to give them the exact measurements to be safe. You should be able to get this from some of the Fender boards' custom shop buyers. And, with the FMIC intergration of J/C, you'd think this wouldn't be too hard. Heck, one of my custom Charvels was done by a Fender master builder, actually.

then for the finish, i would kind of like to do a "closet classic" fender style relic finish - it looks kinda old, maybe some checking on the paint, but not all beat up looking. would jackson do that?
          Sure, J/C has done some relic jobs, too. Shouldn't be a problem. Again, though, be VERY specific with the work order description.

Also, just a suggestion... If you're shooting for a vintage spec-vibe, why not go with a Charvel strathead, instead? You can still do a Dinky body style like you want, and it'll have a more vintage-like (classic strat) appearance. Plus, a Charvel custom will be cheaper than a Jackson. You'll have to change that logo spec, though, of course.

Comment

does charvel have a spec sheet like Jackson?
            GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Yep. Not currently on their website, though. I assume it's been taken down for revised pricing ahead of NAMM. You should be able to get it from a dealer soon after, though.

Comment

cool. last time I ordered a charvel it came with a Jackson plate and a charvel logo!!
                GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

I have one of those, too! Seems like every once in a blue moon, one goes out the door like that by mistake. They offered to replace the plate for me, but I didn't bother. Besides, makes it more unique. LOL

Comment

Don't forget that you can get the Fender headstock with a Jackson logo (at least I know myself and others have had orders accepted over the last few months).

Comment

cool
                      GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Honestly you should contact Roy at http://rsguitarworks.net They build some of the best guitars out there if you are looking for a vintage feel but want a hot rod guitar.Their relic work is the best in the business.
                        Turn around time much faster than Jackson and about half the price.
                        You can spec it any way you want.
                        Last edited by straycat; 01-09-2014, 06:16 PM.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I would never do a 7.25 radius on a Jackson. It is wonky and would kill any resale value. I have a Jackson strat with a straight 12" radius, and that's about as close to vintage as I want to get.

Comment

would you use a floyd or vtrem? i never liked floyds on rounder fretboards. if I had the $ i would be ordering a similar guitar with a tele headstock.

Comment

for the bridge I would be using a vintage hardtail. I want the guitar to be the best of my live and studio guitars. live I play Jacksons and hamers - flashier guitars. in the studio I record almost exclusively with vintage styled fenders - telecasters, jazzmasters, etc. I prefer the old style necks. my hands and finger are smaller - 1 5/8 nut is perfect. sometimes I screw up arpeggio chords on the jacksons.

the guitar should be about visual flash, simplicity of use, and the comfort and playability of my studio guitars. for me, that means the visuals of a shred guitar with basically a 1962 strat neck. I don't care about a strathead as much as the neck shape/profile. to me, a strathead and the dinky body don't match. that's why I want the reverse AT-1 the single humbucker and volume knob facilitate no-frills stage use. the hardtail bridge allows me to quickly drop my E to D during those shows where we are opening for a national act (30 min set) and I don't want to waste time bringing a second guitar for 1 song.

here is sort of a pic based on Jackson's guitar builder:

GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Working...
                              X