No announcement yet.

CS order that models a vintage fender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this meant to be easy for me onstage. one pickup one knob, it's all i use anyway - but then make the neck feel like the fenders i am using in the studio. a lot of guys here think i am crazy, but i do NOT record with a jackson - EVER. i think they sound crappy recorded - no character. i do a lot of session work on the side and most of it calls for either a gibson, a fender or an acoustic. so, these days, i am playing a lot of gibson (SG, LP jr), fender, and acoustic guitars. i like the shredders live because they look cooler. so, i want the looks of a jackson with the feel of a fender.

not so much a vintage-vibed jackson. to me, the adrian smith kind of does that. i could put 3 singles in there if i wanted too. at the end of the day, the AS has a neck that is too thin and flat for what i use these days. i can't shred anymore - i have arthritis developing in my fret hand. shoot, i don't even really like jumbo frets anymore. in fact, if fender offered the dinky body i would prolly just order from them because their CS form has all the little tweaks i want on the jackson.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

From the mockup, you may be happier with an SLS Custom in mahogany with a maple cap, 24 3/4" scale, 24 frets, and a that hideous-but-comfy hardtail they offered a few years back (looked like an ashtray, but felt like a Floyd - all comfy and stuff). The shorter scale may work better for your hands. To me, the older USA/Pro Warriors with the 24 3/4" scale always felt like they had a narrow nut width compared to the 25.5" scale necks, even though both were the same nut width.

I think Schaller makes a tuner mod that flips your low E down to D. Has a fine tuner on it also.

And the one-hum is going to be tonally limiting for stage work, especially if you have the variety of songs that would go along with having a variety of guitars (AS, Gretsch, etc).

As for the recorded tones, I agree that Jacksons do sound a lot different than Fenders or Gibsons, but I wouldn't say they lacked character. Gibson and Fender have defined the sound of music for the past 60+ years, so they have a more familiar tone.
      Last edited by Newc; 01-10-2014, 02:05 PM.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

basically, take this neck:

add a 22nd fret, put a reverse jackson AT-1 headstock and attach it to this style of body:

but, route it for a single HB, a single knob and this bridge:

then, with a finish like this:

i think that is the best way to describe it.....
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

newc, thing about the SLS is that it has a different shape. as far as the single HB - even on that gretsch i never change the pickup. it stays on the bridge the whole time. with the amp raging you can't even hear too much of difference between the jacksons, the gretsch, and my PRS' - clean, it's a different story. but distorted the amp has too much power and character on its own. if i DID put in a neck pickup, it would be a single coil - maybe even a lipstick tube. i got a really cool '58 danelectro this summer. it sounds awesome with a fuzz pedal...

when i modded the AS i thought i had better do it HS instead of just H. in the handful of shows i have used it, i have never once switched off the bridge. we have a jangly song but the clean channel is set nicely enough that the HB doesn't overdrive the channel. oh well. i get what i am after. i know why i am after it. i was just thinking that some of the guys that order a shit ton of CS guitars could answer a couple questions for me.

realistically, i COULD just throw an SD little 59 in my grandfather's 1962 strat and be done with it. it would have a lot of time and money!!!!
          GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
            in fact, if fender offered the dinky body i would prolly just order from them because their CS form has all the little tweaks i want on the jackson.
            Fender Showmaster. It's their version of a Dinky. They've done both arch top and flat top versions. I'm sure you can get whatever on a custom shop order.

I still think you should just order a J/C, though.

Comment

Working...
            X