Black JT6 trem arms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black JT6 trem arms?

OK what's the deal once and for all with the black trem arms on the JT6? Most of the original JT6's I've seen had chrome arms, but I've read here that some originally came with black arms. I just got my second "original" black arm today. It is absolutely identical to the first. They push in like the chrome ones, but they are not identical. The nylon spacers are spaced differently, and the overall dimensions and shape are slightly different. They are also different from Ibanez Edge arms, although they are pretty close. The blacks ones seem to swing a bit looser than the chrome ones, but that could be luck of the draw. Anybody know the definitive story on these? Did Grover just run out one year and source what he could??

All of my original ones are chrome.

Comment

All original C/J arms are chrome. The Ibanez Edge uses the same arm and therefore is where the black arms are coming from.

Comment

OK we've got one vote against original black arms (although like I said they aren't a match with Ibanez). Anyone else?

Comment

I bought an Usa Jackson this week, that also has a black Jt-6 trem arm. I don't know, it is original or not but it seems me original.

Comment

I haven't had any luck googling, but two possibilities I can think of would be that maybe there was a slight change in the design of the Edge arms at some point, or maybe there was a third-party making replacement Edge arms that were slightly different. This would be a great question for Kevin Easton. If there were even a few JT-6 trems that came with original black arms, he'd be the guy who would know about it.

Comment

Could original black arm be like the difference between:
              genuine Fender and Genuine Fender
              One is made by Fender and the other is ripping off Fender's name

or:
              original replacement parts vs original replacement parts
              No difference in spelling with those, but its the meaning behind the intent that is different.
              original replacement parts - a cache of leftover parts from the good ole days, use them to replace your old and worn out parts
              original replacement parts - made new, maybe improved, maybe different options available, but designed to replace your original parts
              Last edited by pianoguyy; 02-12-2014, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Who made the JT-6? Did they make trems exclusively for Jackson?
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  Who made the JT-6? Did they make trems exclusively for Jackson?
                  Nope, same Japanese company that made the Edge for Ibanez. Notice that they both came out at approximately the same time.
                  Last edited by lepard; 02-12-2014, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Then there's no logical reason a JT6 and Edge screw-in bar should be different, unless one had pure metric threading and the other had standard threading.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

My model 5 came with a black bar new, from a dealer that didn't stock Ibanez at the time. So it's unlikely that a black one accidentally found its way in there.

i would put the tightness issue down to the chrome finish possibly being a little thicker than the black.
                      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        Then there's no logical reason a JT6 and Edge screw-in bar should be different, unless one had pure metric threading and the other had standard threading.
                        Jt6 is a push in, not screw in.

Comment

I only have 1 edge trem bar, and its different than the jt6 bar. Not even close.

But in fairness, i think its an edge 2

Comment

I think the only thing that can crack the case is an original owner coming forward with a black bar or some conclusive insider information from back in the day.

Comment

I have seen push-in Edge trems from the late 80s. IIRC, the original JEMs used them.

Comment

Working...
                              X