Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grey Transparent Finish?

Guys,

Every example of a dark or "black" transparent finish looks brown-ish to me (which I'm not a fan of), and looks pretty much like this:

Or this:

but... what is going on with this transparent finish below? It looks grey, and it's amazing!

Last edited by claxor; 03-13-2014, 09:36 PM.

I'd say the explorer has faded. But photography / post processing can have a huge effect on how colours appear..
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
      I'd say the explorer has faded. But photography / post processing can have a huge effect on how colours appear..
      In this example, the color looks pretty consistent throughout the photos. Some were inside, some were outside sunlight.

I still think this kind of transparent color really is beautiful. I wonder how one can re-create it or order it in a custom shop order?

Comment

Another example of the possibilities:

Comment

Trans black is grey.

Comment

+1 to both

Comment

Must be those pictures, in reference to the Explorer. I have a bunch of photographs of it, and here are some that prove it's finish originally was "dark brown"

Also, every trans black I've seen was almost trans grey.

Comment

They should just rename that color option storm cloud.
                I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

So, what happened to Marty's explorer then? Direct sunlight faded it?

Comment

Transparent paint fades.

One of the painters can tell the actual process, but the simple version is:
                    In order to get the paint to stain instead of cover, you don't use a primer, which allows it to soak into the wood. But it continues to soak in to the wood. Hence, it looks like it is fading, but it is actually soaking

Comment

I'd say the main difference is custom shop work for a world famous professional guitar player over pics of regular USA models. Friedman himself may have picked that color. For all you guys know he may have mixed it up himself. Mustaine and he were big wigs over there and had the run of the entire shop and the support of the entire staff from what I've heard. In the 90's Jackson probably sold more King V's and Kelly's than any other model because of Mustaine and Friedman's popularity. Around my neighborhood literally 3 or 4 kids who played out of every 10 had a Kelly or King V import and they all wanted to be in Megadeth. I also don't think the finish on Friedman's guitar changed. I just think the top pics are washed out shitty pictures taken in direct sunlight. I am pretty sure before Jackson clear coated that guitar they fed it the finish until the wood would drink no more. The finish would have to be dry and absorbed all the way into the wood before you could clear coat it I would think.
                      Last edited by leftykingv2; 03-16-2014, 02:20 PM.
                      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

My old Schecter 007 Elite in trans black. This pic makes it darker than it was, but it definitely didn't have any brown in it.
                        PIC_S0005.jpg
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have a trans black over korina and it looks more brown. Not gray at all. My guess is it's more the photos then anything else. I also have a opaque black over korina and it's BLACK! All in what you request. Be specific!
                          "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Working...
                          X