No announcement yet.

Phil Collen Jackson X-Stroyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I obviously have a difference in opinion from most of you, but I'm far more interested in a production X-Stroyer than the CS implications.

I'm way more concerned about a guitar I could have in a couple months than something I might see in two years at the earliest.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
      I obviously have a difference in opinion from most of you, but I'm far more interested in a production X-Stroyer than the CS implications.

I'm way more concerned about a guitar I could have in a couple months than something I might see in two years at the earliest.
      It took two years for the Broderick 7-string production model to come out once they announced it. You might be better off with a CS order.
      http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MetalDaze View Post
        But, the bigger questions is can you order the body shape CS? I know that doesn't help from a low cost perspective, but it would be a cool to see some CS orders of that.
        See my post above: denied. For the time being, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
          See my post above: denied. For the time being, at least.
          Yeah, I wasn't sure if that was denied as in "not exactly like Phil's" or if you could get the body shape at all. I guess I'd like to know how it balances first because I just can't get comfortable with neck heavy guitars. I didn't get along with my KE2 for that reason, but never had that problem with the KV or RR. I've toyed around with getting a mid-sized Kelly, but this is pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napalm View Post
            It took two years for the Broderick 7-string production model to come out once they announced it. You might be better off with a CS order.
            That would be just about right.

Comment

Not

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
              And like any artist design Jackson: You can't order it through the CS
              (just try to get a PC, Vinny Vincent V, Gary Moore, or Jake E. Lee with your own twist)
              Not to bust your chops or anything but I'm not sure that's entirely true. I spec'd a Custom Shop Scott Ian soloist that I had added a few tweeks to. I didn't go through with it but I did get a quote.
              Last edited by Dog Boy; 07-01-2014, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dog Boy View Post
                Not

Not to bust your chops or anything but I'm not sure that's entirely true. I spec'd a Custom Shop Scott Ian soloist that I had added a few tweeks to. I didn't go through with it but I did get a quote.
                What were the tweeks?

Comment

Originally posted by algeriet View Post
                  What were the tweeks?
                  Slightly different neck shape and a neck pickup added.

Comment

There's a difference between tweaking a production sig (Morton, Collin, etc) and copying an artist's personal guitar.

The rules are fenders though, which unless they're going to be sued (Vinnie Vincent demanding a royalty on a double v for example) they can enforce or break at their whim. The sudden switch to making jackson stratheads being an example. Absolutely verboten for years even after the fender purchase, now ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                      And like any artist design Jackson: You can't order it through the CS (just try to get a PC, Vinny Vincent V, Gary Moore, or Jake E. Lee with your own twist)
                      Actually, they'll do quite a lot of tweaks on an artist guitar, as long as that artist is still on the Jackson roster, or as long as no reference is made to that artist in the specs (I guess so they have some plausible deniability). For example, I ordered a 'PC1', which is a very different guitar to the standard model (h/s, no sustainer, rev head, AS neck profile, custom colour) plus was told I could order an Adrian Smith with no pickguard.

Vinnie Vincent is a minefield and very protective of the shape he designed. Gary Moore just played fairly 'boring' Charvels so I have no doubt you could order a CS with a pickguard and nobody would stop you, but again you'd be advised not to mention Gary in your work order. Jake used to be with ESP obviously, which is why you couldn't order a replica through J/C, and why the 'Jake' run of 5 years or so ago couldn't have any reference to his name.

I'm surprised that they're 'promoting' this X-stroyer so much if they're not going to make it available. Maybe they're just testing the waters for now?
                      Popular is not the same as good
                      Rare is not the same as valuable
                      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                        I'm surprised that they're 'promoting' this X-stroyer so much if they're not going to make it available. Maybe they're just testing the waters for now?
                        This. The featuring on social media, naming the model.... I think they're either testing the waters or prepping for an announcement.

I'm hoping the latter as I will have a down payment at my Jackson dealer before the ink is dry on the announcement.

Unless they pull a stunt like that 25th anniversary PC which cost a small fortune.

But if they do a production model at the current PC-1 price or lower, I'm all in.

Comment

If it happens, I have my doubts it'd be cheaper - it's neck thru to start with, then as a production guitar they'd have to do all the CNC stuff for it from scratch.

Comment

It could be in the US Select line (minus FU upgrades and Sustainer) and I'd be happy with it.

Comment

Hopefully we hear more details after Summer NAMM in a couple of weeks, including both USA Production and custom shop ordering availability.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
                                It could be in the US Select line (minus FU upgrades and Sustainer) and I'd be happy with it.
                                Yeah could be, but my point is that it'd still likely cost more than a PC1. The processes to build the PC1 are well established (as is the demand), plus bolt-ons are less involved to build than neck through.
                                Last edited by neilli; 07-05-2014, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X