Help to Identify Jackson Guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to Identify Jackson Guitar

Hey folks, I am hoping to get some help here. I am trying to assist a friend, that is not internet savy, identify his guitar as he is considering selling it.

The serial number identifies it as a 1986 San Dimas. Anything else you can tell me about it would be much appreciated. I am by no means a guitar expert, so even the smallest and simplest details will help. If you have an opinion on value, that would be great too.

Guitar is in pretty much mint condition.

Jim

I thought "San Dimas" where Charvel , That says Jackson made in usa on head stock, have you looked at the records over at the Jackson guitar site, they have a phone number as well. I'm sure one of the experts here will be able to tell you, check back often, and welcome to the boards.
    \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

If the serial number denotes 1986 (San Dimas), it's a late San Dimas guitar, given the oversize bridge pickup, hotdog single-coil routes and control layout. Having a Floyd is cool and the colour is fairly unusual. The controls are bit less desirable, but not a deal breaker..

What is the serial?
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Odd mix to have the through-the-neck Floyd nut mount combined with the larger control route. Cool guitar, though. Yeah, the serial # will help.

Comment

The Serial # is J2152. Hope that sheds some light.

I agree on the color being unusual, I think it is pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson8090s View Post
            I thought "San Dimas" where Charvel

There are San Dimas models.
            But there is also a San Dimas Factory.
            As well as a San Dimas mailing address.

And I am sure I forgot a San Dimas something or other.

Comment

There WAS a San Dimas factory, which ended with the move to Ontario. Although FMIC now uses "San Dimas" to refer to strat body Charvel models, that's really just an homage to the J/C custom shop's original heyday back in the 80s. They moved to Ontario in 86.

And the SD factory was really in Glendora, with just a p.o. box in San Dimas. (Also apearring on SD Charvel neck plates.)
              Last edited by shreddermon; 07-15-2015, 09:01 AM.

Comment

That black headstock (regardless of it pointing in the wrong direction or not) instead of it being the same color as the body, is definitely not a plus. Not really a minus, but it isn't getting you any brownie points - especially in that era.

It may make more sense for you to pay the $10 membership fee and sell your unit here.
                Than it would be to pay all of the fees associated with ebay.

Especially since it will most likely be once of us buying it.

Comment

WAIT....

That's not the original color?

All value to a collector is gone.
                  Keep the guitar and play it. You spent more having it refinished (assuming you had it done properly) than you will get as a selling price.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                    There WAS a San Dimas factory, which ended with the move to Ontario. Although FMIC now uses "San Dimas" to refer to strat body Charvel models, that's really just an homage to the J/C custom shop's original heyday back in the 80s. They moved to Ontario in 86.

And the SD factory was really in Glendora, with just a p.o. box in San Dimas. (Also apearring on SD Charvel neck plates.)

When the San Dimas/Glendora factory moved to Ontario, they still had plenty of San Dimas plates to use. That's what I meant by mailing address vs factory.
                    A serial plate saying San Dimas is not necessarily a San Dimas.
                    Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Never said it was not the original color. It is original.

Comment

Originally posted by jkonto View Post
                        Never said it was not the original color. It is original.
                        Are you sure about that?

It looks like someone painted over the studs.
                        Which is typical of non-original finishes.

And the trem ---- it could be the angle that the picture was taken, but it looks off slightly center to me.
                        Is it also original, or was it added later?

Hey, if I am wrong about it being a refin, then I am wrong.
                        But you asked opinions. I am giving you one.
                        Last edited by pianoguyy; 07-15-2015, 09:30 AM.

Comment

The guy I am helping out says it was bought new just like it is. Looking at the trem, it is slightly to the right, but looking at pictures of other Jacksons, it seems they all are.

Here is one example of a new one from Music 123.
                          Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Jackson USA Select Soloist SL1 Electric Guitar at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Appreciate the opinions, just rebutting with what I know about the guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                            That black headstock instead of it being the same color as the body, is definitely not a plus
                            A matching head would be pretty unusual for an SD era guitar..
                            Popular is not the same as good
                            Rare is not the same as valuable
                            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Unless it were black
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X