NGD 90's soloist graphic with a couple of questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD 90's soloist graphic with a couple of questions

Picked this up a couple of weeks ago. My first usa soloist.
    haven't had much time to play it yet.
    just opened the back yesterday (plastic covers. Did 90's soloists have plastic covers?)
    and had a look in side. The points of 2 screws are sticking through from the pick up cavities! What might that be about?
    Also the trem looks suspiciously like a swap. No name on it and the block is cheap looking.
    Any thoughts?[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Power chords...what more do you need?!

The screws through the trem cavity are the grounding screws from inside the pickup cavities. But yeah, that bridge sure likes one of the cheap schaller knock-offs, which means it's been swapped out.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I've never seen grounding screws sticking through like that before. must have used the wrong sized screws that day

Comment

90's Soloists did come with plastic covers. But --- it's a cover. It could have been replaced. Not a big deal.

HOWEVER...
        There is no writing on the inside of the trem route, nor was it painted over. So I question if it was original.
        Plus, if you look, there are 10 screw holes for the cover.

Comment

I've never seen a USA Soloist with plastic covers. Ever.

However, it's only a cover.

However, however, that explains the 10 holes for the missing cover. Jackson drills (or used to) the covers by hand, then the holes in the body when it's placed in the cavity, and it's rare to find two that match perfectly. That's one sure way to make sure you're including the correct original cover when you sell one - if the screw holes don't line up, it's the wrong one.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yes there are extra screw holes so clearly not the original cover. It has a cracked corner anyway.
            Wha do you mean by writing in the trem route? There is a red " squiggle" under the trem claw. You can just see the edge of it in the photo. What do you think isn't original Pianoguyy?

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              I've never seen a USA Soloist with plastic covers.
              All of my 90's Jackson's (USA and import) have been bought used. So, technically, I guess I don't actually know what type of cover they used.
              While it is possible, I find it unlikely that all of them had their covers replaced.

Originally posted by EPB View Post
              Wha do you mean by writing in the trem route?
              The stamp that they use where the workers fill in the information.
              *LIKE THIS*
              Last edited by pianoguyy; 08-02-2015, 08:21 AM.

Comment

so you think it might be a knock off guitar?

Comment

so you think it might be a knock off guitar?
                  Not at all.
                  I think it was modified far from it's original configuration.

Which may or may not include going from a string thru to tremolo.

Comment

There's no way that guitar was modified from string-thru to a trem. Not least because the neck angle would be wrong, plus it's a standard graphic, there's matching paint in the rout at the top and I'd bet a U serial number (and other than the much more recent SL1T, there's never been a production model Soloist in h/s/s with a string thru). 99.99999999% it's just an early USA Series guitar with a swapped bridge.
                    Last edited by neilli; 08-02-2015, 11:08 AM.
                    Popular is not the same as good
                    Rare is not the same as valuable
                    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

This graphic looks awesome.

Comment

I quite like it myself.
                        when I gete a chance I'll pull the pickups and have a closer look inside.
                        apart from the bridge it plays fantastic. Plugged in the bridge pickup is LOUD.
                        Through my old marshall jmp50 it sounds great...then again everything sounds great through the jmp50 .
                        not sure about the boost circuit thingy though.

Comment

I quite like it myself.
                          when I gete a chance I'll pull the pickups and have a closer look inside.
                          apart from the bridge it plays fantastic. Plugged in the bridge pickup is LOUD.
                          Through my old marshall jmp50 it sounds great...then again everything sounds great through the jmp50 .
                          not sure about the boost circuit thingy though.
                          As far as I can tell the guitar looks authentic. The neck and fret board alone just look too beautiful to be a fake.

Those plastic rear covers most likely replaced the lost steel ones.

Furthermore, early Jackson/Charvel branded JT 590 bridge saddles are known to strip easily. Chances are the original was stripped and replaced with the one you currently have.

I'd purchase an authentic Schaller tremelo. Its a direct replacement. And you'd get all the precision you need for a proper set up.
                          My early soloist pro had a stripped jt 590 bridge. I replaced it with a Schaller bridge. It performs as it should.
                          Last edited by Iceberg794; 08-02-2015, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I like that graphic a lot!
                            If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                              All of my 90's Jackson's (USA and import) have been bought used. So, technically, I guess I don't actually know what type of cover they used.
                              While it is possible, I find it unlikely that all of them had their covers replaced.

The stamp that they use where the workers fill in the information.
                              *LIKE THIS*
                              All my 90-94 USAs and Pros were also bought used, and they all came with anodized aluminum backplates.

Apparently, you have the misfortune of having bought from the asshats who were selling original plates on Ebay. I wondered where they came from and what happened to the guitars they were drilled on.
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X