Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New guy needs help with model selection!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy needs help with model selection!

Hi forum fellows - somehow in my long amateur career I only owned a Jackson briefly, in the 90's - it was a black Kelly but that's all I remember - for a variety of reasons...

My pal has a nice USA SL2H, pretty new model, and boy it plays great! Now I’m revved up to buy a Jackson –of course I’m lurking, researching, etc … but it is time to ask for some advice since I don’t know all the quirks of the different, years, options, etc. Really hoping for a reverse headstock / oiled neck / single hum / Floyd. \m/ (altho his has painted neck and it felt great)

I found a couple black “X” series Soloists at that top price point. Ebay seller did note a few “problems” with that model… so would I be better served with a used SL2H? I’d be forgoing the reverse/unpainted neck?
    I’m good with either actives or passive pups – I’d prolly swap out the stock SD JBs with some modded earlier 80’s SD Customs I have.

I’ve found a few SL2Hs between 1200 – 1800… different years, some gloss black, some trans black.

As far as Kellys, I understand there were a few different body sizes with the Kellys over the years
    I found a trans black Kelly (still love that pointy look) around $1700.
    There’s a Grover Jackson “Black Blood” Kelly on reverb, but max of my price range and cosmetically dinged up and some kind of Schaller trem...

Both look like the bridge Pus have been changed.

Anyway the Jackson GAS is bad – I have a spreadsheet!

Thanks in advance for any advice - Erik

Finding a rev head, single hum with an oiled neck is going to be fairly hard work. Depending on your budget, you might want to consider ordering one to your exact specs via the Custom Select programme.

If that's out of your price range, it's worth thinking about what you are prepared to compromise on. Single hum is probably the most difficult thing to find, so in terms of a quick fix, that would seem the best thing to drop. And oiled necks are pretty unusual on a neck thru until relatively recently. I'm not aware of any issues with the X guitars, but the satin black isn't for everyone and it does tend to 'shine up' in the places where your hand / arm contact the guitar.

Another option might be to find something that needs work and send it for a restoration where you could pick any pickup config / colour you want. There's a stripped Soloist on the jcf facebook page right now, and that could be easily setup for single hum and oiled neck. But it's not a rev head..
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

If you don't mind bolt-ons, also consider a used DK1. It'll hit two of your four criteria: oiled neck and Floyd.

Comment

The used market is always a good place to shop. Plus, if you end up not liking it, you aren't losing half of the price on a resale like you do with new.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Neil... I was pondering a special order but just trying to remain sensible, (whatever that means) since just dropped 2k on a ESP Star - Roope sig model. I'm a big guy and the big pointy guitars look good on me ( I think, haha)

I agree the, the single hum isn't very important, just a personal preference. I don't mind the flat black, actually prefer that.

I am getting hung up on the different neck treatments, some have a different, faster lacquer and/or wax on them?

Some ebay seller of an X was complaining that he couldn't set it up as low as other models, for some obscure reason, plus the silver fret markers tend to lift up...

I fix it up situation also occurred to me - I'm in LA so some good luthiers here obviously but not sure if I have the patience for that route, and, I know from experience, cost can balloon with the ye 'olde projects, resulting in a very expensive piece of firewood if it doesn't turn out... but probably worth another look as an option.

Any overall differences in playability between the Kelly and a Soloist? Neck dive is always a bit of concern, plus all these different necks have me confused...

many thanks for your input!

Comment

Thanks - I have a spreadsheet of about 8 different guitars available right now... it does seem like resale is good.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
              If you don't mind bolt-ons, also consider a used DK1. It'll hit two of your four criteria: oiled neck and Floyd.
              Thanks for the recommendation, , I'd like to compare the models head to head - maybe I'll take a field trip to a GC (uggh) and see if I can get clear on the nuances. I'm afraid the Dinky will be too small on my hulking frame...

Comment

Originally posted by ewrath View Post
                I'm in LA so some good luthiers here obviously but not sure if I have the patience for that route, and, I know from experience, cost can balloon with the ye 'olde projects, resulting in a very expensive piece of firewood if it doesn't turn out...
                If you're in LA you have some good options - Lee at GMW just did my splatter guitar, then there's Dan Lawrence at DRL Graphics / GMP, plus likely a bunch of others. But yeah, costs can skyrocket if you're not careful, though if you buy a functioning 'carcass' for the right price, you can get something exactly the way you want way below the cost of new. But you need to make sure the trussrod works, and ideally that it doesn't need major fretwork.

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                  Lee at GMW,,, Dan Lawrence at DRL Graphics / GMP,.
                  haha - I was going to name drop those guys as my bandmate Luis is out there assisting Dan on the weekends.. I guess I've been shy since I know they are trying to sell their own brands and probably get lots of time wasters... but at end of the day if it's a paying job I suppose they'd like the work.

Comment

Lee stopped taking refin / restoration work for a few years, but started up again last year and so I'm sure he'd be happy to take it on, or at least discuss it. As far as I know, Dan still takes on refins, but most of what I read is GMP based obviously. He did a refin on a Rhoads for me, and I have a GMP V from him too..

Comment

Big guy wanting a guitar that fits his stature?
                      Classic size King V, or Double Rhoads
                      Which are gonna be an absolute pain to find 2nd hand
                      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I might try a custom order.....
                        Last edited by ewrath; 08-10-2015, 11:22 AM.

Comment

You might not want to publicise that cos he might get into trouble..

Comment

Deleted previous post content,,,, but couldn't seem to delete post. We'll see what happens.,,, I still might be better off buying a nice used one.
                            Last edited by ewrath; 08-10-2015, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ewrath View Post

Any overall differences in playability between the Kelly and a Soloist? Neck dive is always a bit of concern, plus all these different necks have me confused...

many thanks for your input!

Certain models, like some Kellys and King Vs have the Jackson speed neck which gives a different feel depending on your preference
                              Jackson KV2
                              Jackson KE1T
                              Jackson KE1F
                              Jackson SL1

Comment

Working...
                              X