No announcement yet.

Show me your Dk1's Pahleeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have ONE bareknuckle humbucker, that when i purchased, did not realize it had the long legs on it,
    so the only guitar i could put it in is my Epi Lespaul. It is a Black Dog and it sounds killer in the neck, it
    BARELY fit in the neck. But it's cool for sure. I will worry about pups, when I finally, get a DK1. Thanks
    to all.

Comment

Originally posted by v4rg666 View Post
      is that an EMG85 as bridge pickup?
      Yeah, I swapped them over - I prefer the 85 by far, esp. in bolt-on guitars..
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

The EMG 85 is WAY better than the 81, IMO, or course. Basically an active Duncan Custom 5.
        The hardest DK1's to find are the models with top wood, flame quilt etc....
        The Exotic series and 1997 models, are the only production models I can think of, besides CS and select.
        Last edited by ps43203; 09-20-2015, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Comment

Now they are coming out, thanks duders. That is a killer, what year is that Shredder? Is that a Select?

Comment

Uhh, if it was the '03 catalog guitar...well, it must've been an '03. LOL

Yes, it was a USA Select. A new finish for that year. (Now discontinued.)

Comment

I'll be an honest and say I'm Dk1 uneducated after, say 1999. I have never seen the 2003 catalog until today. I'm old.

Comment

Originally posted by ps43203 View Post
                  The EMG 85 is WAY better than the 81, IMO, or course. Basically an active Duncan Custom 5.
                  You think so? I love the 85, and it's got way more mids than the Custom 5. I couldn't get rid of the Custom 5 fast enough in my old Charvel Star since it was so scooped in the mids.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Maybe it is just the way mine sounds, I have one in an Epi Les Paul, mahogany obviously. They do sound thin and harsh in a bright guitar,
                    with like basswood, or poplar. The custom 5 is VERY guitar dependent, where the 85 is more consistent due to the
                    active electronics. Both Custom 5 and the Emg 85, have alinico 5 magnets, giving it more of a airy tone and less gain.
                    Yadda Yadda, you know. Are you sure your not thinking of the custom custom? That has a ceramic magnet and sounds
                    like ass, I couldn't get rid of that one quick enough.
                    Last edited by ps43203; 09-21-2015, 03:40 PM.

Comment

I've never tried the CC, but I know it's supposed to have a lot more midrange. The C5 did sound better in my mahogany Hamer, but it still was lacking a little something. I put a DiMarzio Tone Zone in place of the C5 in the alder Charvel Star, and it sounded much better, lots more low mids and bass.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        I've never tried the CC, but I know it's supposed to have a lot more midrange. The C5 did sound better in my mahogany Hamer, but it still was lacking a little something. I put a DiMarzio Tone Zone in place of the C5 in the alder Charvel Star, and it sounded much better, lots more low mids and bass.
                        I am not a Dimarzio fan, but I do like the Tone Zone, and the Air Norton is good too.

Comment

Never tried an Air Norton, but I've got a regular Norton in the bridge of my all mahogany Hamer Special that sounds pretty awesome compared to the Duncan JB that came out of it.
                          The JB is hit or miss for me and, I think, pretty overrated.

Comment

I agree the JB is nothing spectacular, and they depend on what guitar you put in too. They seem to sound best in darker guitars, Mahogany/Rosewood.

Comment

Working...
                            X