is this a fusion or a DK-1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this a fusion or a DK-1?

If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

if its a bolted on it seems like a dinky model ...

Comment

Your pic is way to small for me to help identify but you can look for a couple things to distinguish between the DK-1 and USA Fusion, First thing is scale length, Fusions are 24.75 and DK-1s are 25.5. Another thing to look for is the wah circuit toggle between the volume and tone knobs along with the blade switch, Fusions are normally H-S-S config and DKs are usualy H-H config One other feature that the fusion has and hardly any DK-1s have is the scalloped lower horn and carved neck heel. Some of the older early 90's models have that but I think they were just called Dinkys then. I hope this will help and I am sure others can tell more.
      I like black and white guitars

Comment

From that pic Nick? Really?! LOL

Could even be a Soloist with a stripped neck (assuming that 'edge' of the headstock is raw wood rather than reflection). I'd guess dinky, because I don't see a scallop on the horn, or a mini toggle between the vol and tone, but obviously, it's pretty wild speculation!
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Too small for me to tell, but that's a great example of the LS graphic.
          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

The 90s version HSS DK1s were 22 frets, so it isn't one of those. Otherwise, could be either a custom Dinky or Soloist. Really hard to tell from that pic.

One of the ways you can tell Fusion vs Dinky is the pickup spacing. The HSS spacing is tighter of the Fusions, I assume due to the short scale necks. So I'm guessing more likely that's a Fusion. Again, though, really hard to say from that pic.

Comment

Originally posted by hopkinsWFG View Post
              if its a bolted on it seems like a dinky model ...
              Fusions are also bolt-on.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                Fusions are also bolt-on.
                sorry my bad but what's a fusion ? a dinky shape bolted on with 22frets at a scale length of 24.74 ala gibson ?

Comment

I just saw a slightly bigger pic of the guitar on the GC website and it looks to have a scalloped horn, but I still don't see a mini-switch. Pat made a very good point about the old DK1 only having 22 frets, so I'm thinking this is probably a fusion..
                  Popular is not the same as good
                  Rare is not the same as valuable
                  Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I own a 92 Dinky that has 24 frets, 25.5 scale, no wah circuit, scalloped horn, and carved heel so the 22 fret is correct on some but not all. I have owned alot of fusions and one of the 22 fret Dinkys in red quilt but since let them all go.

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                    The 90s version HSS DK1s were 22 frets, so it isn't one of those. Otherwise, could be either a custom Dinky or Soloist. Really hard to tell from that pic.

One of the ways you can tell Fusion vs Dinky is the pickup spacing. The HSS spacing is tighter of the Fusions, I assume due to the short scale necks. So I'm guessing more likely that's a Fusion. Again, though, really hard to say from that pic.

Comment

Looking at the space between the p'ups, I put $5 on it being a fusion
                      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

24.75 with 24 frets=Fusion.
                        Originally posted by hopkinsWFG View Post
                        sorry my bad but what's a fusion ? a dinky shape bolted on with 22frets at a scale length of 24.74 ala gibson ?
                        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by walshula View Post
                          I own a 92 Dinky that has 24 frets, 25.5 scale, no wah circuit, scalloped horn, and carved heel so the 22 fret is correct on some but not all.
                          Nice guitar. But that's not one of the DK1 USA production models I was speaking of. All DK1s may be Dinkys, but not all "Dinkys" are DK1s. LOL.

Comment

Oh my bad

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                            Nice guitar. But that's not one of the DK1 USA production models I was speaking of. All DK1s may be Dinkys, but not all "Dinkys" are DK1s. LOL.

Comment

Original DK-1s were HSS, IIRC. I believe there was some carry-over from the Dinky USA to DK-1. Not all Fusions got the scalloped horn, particularly with certain graphics.

As well, necks held on with screws are easily swapped, and Fusion necks will fit Dinky bodies easily and intonate properly.
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X