Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson 80's

Hi JCFonline,

I have just picked up a Jackson Guitar "Dinky" in a early 5000 serial number (on neck plate, with San Dimas. assume late 80's, owner told me he bought from factory in '88), it is also signed and numbered on the back of the head stock by Grover Jackson.
    It has Jackson "Floyd Rose" and pick-ups (H-S), rosewood board, dot inlays, standard hockey stick head-stock, a Green/Blue and Black crackle finish.
    I have seen other crackle finishes, but not this color..........so far.

It has never been sold from the store owner I bought it from (fret board has zero wear, owner of store had it stored away), but it is not in what i call mint condition (but still in un-played condition)......... a little peeling of top layer of paint on back (leaving blue finish underneath exposed), small chip on head-stock......
    I totally love the unfinished thin wide neck........ feels super fast (to me anyway).

I would of loved to have posted a pic, but am unable to...............

Can anyone help with value and if this desired/rare Jackson, as I really am unsure on Jackson guitars................I think it is amazing which is why i grabbed it and it is my first Jackson!!

Well, "hockey stick headstock" is Kramer, not Jackson.

With that serial I think you're solidly in Ontario territory. Pics would help.

Comment

Does it look like this?:

They're cool guitars, but if it does look like that then there are quite a lot of them around. They made a bunch of blue crackles in 1988 and a bunch of black/red crackles too, and Grover signed a LOT of bolt-ons on the back of the headstock that year (though strangely, I don't recall seeing his sig on the back of any of the 88 LTDs).
      Last edited by neilli; 12-07-2015, 11:12 AM.
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by cgk018 View Post

Can anyone help with value

$50 less than what you just paid for it would be a good estimate of its value.

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post

4100 floats around the start of 1988. So, yeah, it is absolutely one of the 'Canadian' models.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, it looks very similar to the pic you posted........ but more of a green than blue (I have my guitar in profile pic).
            I had a feeling a lot of them may have been signed as mine was numbered just over 100...........
            I saw it in a shop and thought it was cool and different, you don't see many for sale or around.......... but than again this is my first Jackson.
            do you know which pickups are in the model above? might save me pulling them to see back of mine.......

Comment

I will try to post or add more pics
              Last edited by cgk018; 12-09-2015, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
                Well, "hockey stick headstock" is Kramer, not Jackson.

thanks for the correction......... definitely new to these style of guitars....

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                  Does it look like this?:

They're cool guitars, but if it does look like that then there are quite a lot of them around. They made a bunch of blue crackles in 1988 and a bunch of black/red crackles too, and Grover signed a LOT of bolt-ons on the back of the headstock that year (though strangely, I don't recall seeing his sig on the back of any of the 88 LTDs).
                  Thanks for the reply, it looks very similar to the pic you posted........ but more of a green than blue (I have my guitar in profile pic).
                  I had a feeling a lot of them may have been signed as mine was numbered just over 100...........
                  I saw it in a shop and thought it was cool and different, you don't see many for sale or around.......... but than again this is my first Jackson.
                  do you know which pickups are in the model above? might save me pulling them to see back of mine.......

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                    $50 less than what you just paid for it would be a good estimate of its value.
                    Thanks for the useless post........... just for your information, when you can buy a '88 Canadian/USA guitar for less than you can buy a Asian model than I think what I paid is worth it.
                    The less $50 (your suggestion)of that will easily cover the cost of the pleasure I will get playing it..... and the fact I have it and you don't.
                    It is only out of interest what these guitars actual value is for I am unable to see others for sale to get a rough idea............ at the end of the day if I didn't see the value in what it meant to me I would not of bought it.

Comment

Canadian? Ontario is California, USA, not Canada.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

450 beat, 750 minty?
                        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I'd say it's worth about $350, $400 with case in mint shape. Wanna sell it? Welcome to the JCF the guitar, the guitar!
                          \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                            450 beat, 750 minty?
                            F'n high baller!
                            \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Its not rare by any means they made a lot of crackles.
                              I'm sure it a great guitar because that was the best era for bolt on neck Jacksons.
                              The serial numbers weren't sequential they used whatever plate was in the bin.
                              The plates were left overs from the San Dimas factory when it closed and they moved to Ontario Ca.in 86.
                              Value that depends on how bad someone wants it.
                              I have paid as little as $300 for one and as much as $900 for a clean minty original.
                              I have 3 or 4 for sale and nobody is buying so I'll keep em'.

Oh and I'll give to a friendly tip don't get cocky and show your ass because this crowd will eat you alive.
                              1. You already admitted you don't know anything about these guitars and its your first.
                              2. The members here know what they are talking about you don't so be civil please.
                              OK that was 3 tips actually.
                              Last edited by straycat; 12-10-2015, 03:09 AM.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X