Jackson 80's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed.
    Last week, I picked up an 88 for $300. Not broken. Not original. But not 'time capsule' either. Plays fine (frets, etc), but the finish has seen some action (jewelry, belt, etc).
    It sat unsold for weeks while I was out of the area. When I came around, I didn't even try to haggle. For $300, as long as it wasn't broken, I was getting it.

While that price may be uncommon, it does happen way more than it should. Perhaps it happens so often that it is the new common?
    So, when someone asks for a value of a unit that "they just bought and don't plan on selling", assume that you paid too much and will never sell it for that price and therefore need to use it instead. It is far more fun to play these things than it is to discuss the current selling price. To a player, they are worth way more than the price. That is why we are willing to drop $2-7k and wait 3 years to have a new one made, even though we know that if it ever needs sold ---- the mafia doesn't even rip people off that badly.

Oh, also, too many "storage wars" and "american pickers" type of people sign up to use the knowledge of this site to flip units that they claimed they had for years and would never sell but need a value to insure it separately from their HOI. They will post what we say in their ads "experts appraise this highly collectible item worth $2000"
    No, we didn't appraise anything because we didn't see it in person to inspect it.

If you want to know what the thing is worth ---- what you just paid for it is a good indicator.
    Think about it --- if it was worth more, wouldn't they have asked for more? If it was worth more, wouldn't someone else have bought it?

Just because it wasn't the answer you were hoping for doesn't make it useless.
    I've learned over the years that when people ask questions and say things like "I need advice, I just don't know what to do", what they really mean is - "I am going to ask people's opinon until someone agrees with me." Needing validation is far different than needing advice.

Comment

The original post is like so many we have seen in the past in which the person says I just bought this and need advice.
      But it turns out they want to flip it and try to run around the JCF rules.
      Next they get defensive and cocky when someone makes a joke and a shit storm ensues.
      What is funny to me is the newbie at that point has "friends" at Jackson/Fender that know all about this guitar and its worth big money.............um no so why are you here in the first place asking for advice?
      I hope the guy is legit because I want to see pics of the guitar!!!
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

See, I don't have any issue giving someone an estimate... if they're gonna sell, they're gonna sell. But the people who come here to do that rarely have nice gear to sell, just mediocre stuff that isn't really rare or exciting. All the rules trolling is fairly stupid too, all it does is give musicians who visit here a bad taste and they just move on to bigger and better sites.

The only reason I still come here is purely nostalgic because otherwise, this board is pretty much dead in the water and has been except to a very small handful of people... a little while back like 6 months of post history, paid memberships (including mine) disappeared and guess what, nobody really gave a shit, not the owner, not the moderators, and mostly not the people who post here.

At least 80% of the people who come here have join dates of 2002/2003 and a number of the people with newer join dates are users who had accounts banned or forgot their passwords and aren't really newer users.

BTW, this board used to be fairly active over a decade ago, but all the neglect and lack of initiative of people who run this place have pretty much left it to languish into stupidity.
        Last edited by xenophobe; 12-10-2015, 01:53 PM.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
        X