Help ID a Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help ID a Jackson

Can anyone help identify this guitar? I was looking to buy my first Jackson and my local pawn shop has one in decent condition. It needs a neck adjustment and has a couple of dings. I'm just not sure what it actually is. They're calling it an SL1 but it's got 2 "Duncan Designed" humbuckers and I haven't been able to find any SL1's that have that pickup configuration. From what I can find it looks like the SL1's usually have the 2 single coils and a humbucker at the bridge. The neck attachment looked wrong for an SL2. I'm really not that familiar with Jacksons though and it doesn't have anything on the head identifying it except a suspicious little laminated sticker label on the truss cover reading "SL1." There's a serial on the neck plate reading 9852705. They want $600 for it, which sounds too good to be true. I'd be really grateful for any help you can offer.

That's a Made in Japan DX10D Dinky. Mid-late 2000's.
    MSRP was in the $800 ballpark, so street price should've been $5-550ish?

Used, $350 mint, tops. Many people can find Japanese Pro models (real Seymour Duncans or real EMGs) in the $3-400 range on Craigslist these days.

The SL1 is a $2500+ USA model that has a neck thru body. All Soloists are neck thru. Dinkys have the same body as a Soloist, but they have a bolt on neck.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

The "SL1" and "made in USA" stickers are so absurd to be hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
        That's a Made in Japan DX10D Dinky. Mid-late 2000's.
        MSRP was in the $800 ballpark, so street price should've been $5-550ish?

Used, $350 mint, tops. Many people can find Japanese Pro models (real Seymour Duncans or real EMGs) in the $3-400 range on Craigslist these days.

The SL1 is a $2500+ USA model that has a neck thru body. All Soloists are neck thru. Dinkys have the same body as a Soloist, but they have a bolt on neck.
        Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
        The "SL1" and "made in USA" stickers are so absurd to be hilarious.
        Too good to be true indeed! Thanks guys. I wonder who put the stickers on it- if the person who pawned it pulled a fast one and they just didn't catch it before paying out or if the shop itself is trying to screw people. Either way, moral of the story: do your homework! And beware Cash America...

Comment

Hahah someone tagged the truss rod cover with a Brother label maker. Unbelievable! There's a legit scumbag in the chain of ownership of that guitar.

Comment

what a pos, mid - late 2000s dinky. worth about $150 - $225

personally I would pass, the Duncan Designed pickups are a sign that they cheap shitted out on this guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
              Hahah someone tagged the truss rod cover with a Brother label maker. Unbelievable! There's a legit scumbag in the chain of ownership of that guitar.
              Lol, maybe I'll take my Ibanez Gio, put a JEM sticker on it and see if they'll just trade.

Comment

Originally posted by batnip View Post
                Lol, maybe I'll take my Ibanez Gio, put a JEM sticker on it and see if they'll just trade.
                \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

lol, my balsa wood kit plane is a SL1 if i put a sticker on it.

Comment

Originally posted by AAEA View Post
                    what a pos, mid - late 2000s dinky. worth about $150 - $225

personally I would pass, the Duncan Designed pickups are a sign that they cheap shitted out on this guitar.
                    I was wondering about that too, what's the deal with Duncan Designed?

Comment

Definitely not a SL1 and definitely a Dinky lol
                      I'm back bitches!!!

Gear:
                      ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black
                      Agile Al 3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/Blackouts
                      Blackstar Soloist HT60
                      Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
                      Seymour Duncan 805

Comment

Originally posted by batnip View Post
                        I was wondering about that too, what's the deal with Duncan Designed?
                        Duncan Designed was standard pups for many years on the older X series...Indian made models and Japanese.
                        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                          Duncan Designed was standard pups for many years on the older X series...Indian made models and Japanese.
                          The Pros had them from the mod-90s up until 2001-2002, too, IIRC.
                          Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

they used to put seymour duncans in their guitars then they started putting Duncan Designed in. for me this is a quality shift in the wrong direction.

Comment

Originally posted by AAEA View Post
                              they used to put seymour duncans in their guitars then they started putting Duncan Designed in. for me this is a quality shift in the wrong direction.
                              They were putting Duncan Designed in some and then started putting in real Duncans afterwards.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X