Back from the dead with a San Dimas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back from the dead with a San Dimas

It has been a long time since I've been active here. My last post was back in 2012 and a lot has happened since then. Most notably, I picked up my very first Jackson back in 2012 when this sweet little thing fell into my lap from e-bay. I would've posted a NGD back then but my interest in guitar had started to wane, partly due to new job demands. But things have cleared up recently and I've been starting to get back into the groove of things. This baby got a fret re-level and setup back in January and I've since been reminded of how well it plays every day since.

1985(?) Jackson Soloist (San Dimas-era)
    Serial#: J0511

Full album on Imgur

I've had a ton of questions ever since I got so I might as well ask them now.

1. The shop log (last pic in album) has the date down as 3-7-84, corrected from 3-7-85. The sequential pattern would suggest the 85 date but I'm curious as to why it was crossed out? Was this really made in 1984?
    2. The log has it down as "Soloist Custom" while the guitar two numbers down is "Soloist Student". My understanding is that the Custom/Professional had ebony board/fins/binding while the Soloist was rosewood & dots. This would seem to qualify as a Student model, no?
    3. Again, my understanding is that everything in the San Dimas era was made to order for the most part. The idea of production line didn't really exist. A dealer could order any specific body shape, pickups, bridge (Floyd only if you bought your own) and finish they wanted or just get a standard template. Does this sound right?
    4. I'm in love with the neck profile. I'm guessing all the necks were hand-done back then but were there standard profiles? Any chance there are current/newer production models that are similar?
    5. The control scheme is master vol/master tone/individual on-off/coil split. The first three seem to be standard on early Jackson/Charvels. Any idea if the coil split was a factory job?
    6. The case looks original to me as the body (lower half at least) fits perfectly. Very solid feeling and heavy as hell. Can anyone confirm?
    7. Some genius scrawled "Jesus Christ Rocks" into the back. A later owner tried to buff it out, to no avail (though it left a nice satin-esque finish on the area). Given the unique-ness of this and the close-knit community that is JCF, anyone here happened to have owned this in the past?
    8. Bridge pickups looks to be Dimarzio and aftermarket. At least I hope they didn't ship it out of the factory with that pink monstrosity. I keep forgetting to pull it out and check the back and will do the next time I change the strings. Any wild guesses though on the model? What about the single coils? They look stock to me.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

It feels good to be back in the community and even better to have a sweet Jackson in hand. I've definitely got my eye on a few things so hopefully the next NGD won't be four years late.

1. that seems strange. 84 doesn't make a lot of sense..
    2. yes, it's a student because of the unbound rosewood and dot inlays (for info: professionals were Japanese made and used many different types of fingerboard wood and inlay)
    3. yeah, things were pretty much 'made to order' at that time.
    4. necks vary a bit of course, but of the 4 SD Soloists I have right now, only one neck feels notably different. As for comparison with newer guitars, the simple trick is to just try some out. Without knowing for sure how the neck on yours is, it's tough to say. However, I'd say the modern Soloist necks aren't a million miles off.
    5. I doubt the coil split was factory
    6. case looks right to me.
    7. not me
    8. I'd bet the bridge pickup is aftermarket and as a wild stab in the dark I'd guess it's a PAF Pro. The singles are probably the standard Jacksons from that era - I forget the model.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

The coil split must have been a popular mod back in the day.....I know this was done on my Soloist J0345 by the original owner prior to 1987.

Front 2.jpg
      "Hail to the Wasted".......Zinny J. Zan

Comment

OP - having used many pink Di'Marzio pick ups over the years, I would be 99.99% sure that is a PAF Pro - that's what it looks like from the tiny picture....
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys.

Definitely agree on the coil split being aftermarket now. A real close look shows a very small crack in the clear coat right next to the coil split toggle where the finish under it has to started to yellow. I'm guessing who ever added it wasn't super careful drilling the hole.

The pup could very well be a PAF Pro. Only other Dimarzio pickup I have experience is the Evo and this is much lower output. Haven't decided if I like it yet.

markD, the line of text under the picture is a link to an album with much larger pictures.

I'm still super curious about the Soloist Custom designation in the logbook (given everything else screams Student) and the scribbled out date from 85 to 84.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8boardbob2 View Post
            I'm still super curious about the Soloist Custom designation in the logbook (given everything else screams Student) and the scribbled out date from 85 to 84.
            These logs are chock full of mistakes and inconsistencies.

Comment

Working...
            X