Brass floyd block on a 1992 LTD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass floyd block on a 1992 LTD?

So I started playing guitar again. I haven't actually considered myself a guitarist for a long while for reasons I won't go into here. But I recently caught the bug, and not just G.A.S. like I've been actually enjoying playing. After doing the refin on my model series which included changing the block to a 42mm and realizing how easy it actually was (knock on wood) I am thinking I may go ahead and change the blocks on my Carvin, my DK2 that I play a lot, and most importantly my 1992 LTD. I'm kind of on the fence with the LTD, I mean I'm going to play it so I should make it do what I want, at the same time I'm kind of wanting to keep it stock.. dunno. Not really sure my ears will hear a difference, but I was curious what folks with older cherished Jacksons think.

And so there's no confusing by what I mean by LTD
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

A recessed bridge usually needs a smaller 37mm or 32mm block. I like the fat brass blocks and they are mostly a bolt on mod easily reversed to go back to "stock". If it involved removing any wood to make it fit I wouldn't do it.

Comment

I'm in the same boat as you. Stopped playing for a while and didn't want any involvement in music whatsoever. Then suddenly I found my mojo again, cruising the forums and classifieds and enjoying playing again. It's like I never missed a beat... I'm just as terrible a guitarist as before!

Since it's a straightforward and reversible swap, try the brass sustain block and see if you can tell the difference. If you ever plan to sell, disclose that the original block is included or give buyers the option of swapping back to the original block while you keep the brass block for yourself.

Comment

Easily reversed...however if you doubt you will hear a difference I would keep it stock

Comment

Aren't Floyd and Schaller blocks brass to begin with? They're just plated with steel.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            Aren't Floyd and Schaller blocks brass to begin with? They're just plated with steel.
            Yep... they sure are.
            FU Tone big blocks simply add more mass and they don't plate their blocks.
            -Rick

Comment

If you want all the range as the standard thin block but want substantially more mass go tungsten. pricey but really good results.

Comment

Cool, thanks everyone
                In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Working...
                X