No announcement yet.

NGD - Jackson Dinky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classic! Nice score. That's one to hang on to.

Comment

Originally posted by Aso View Post
      I was just looking at the 88 catalog and I think this is a strat body and not a dinky. The front cutouts on the body match the pictured strat in the catalog and a dinky isn't listed.

I agree with you toejam that the bridge isn't from the 80's. It doesn't match the photo you posted or the tunematic in the catalog
      No, that's a Dinky. Those short, Strat-like horns can be seen on some 22 fret models. The final page of the '88 catalogue shows a 'Dinky Strat' like yours, but I don't think that term stuck around long...I may be corrected.

The early 22 fret DK1's from the mid-'90s had that shape also.

96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

The 88 catalog from the Jackson site has it listed as a strat body. I looked at the catalog on Jackson's site and the last page doesn't look like the one you posted Mudlark. I am confused but doesn't matter it's a good player.

Comment

This shape, like yours, is referred to as a Dinky Strat in the '87-'88 catalogues.
          [IMG][/IMG]

Note the sharper horns than the on the Strat. Also, the Dinky is reported to be 7/8ths the size of a Strat.

BTW, my earlier pic was from the '96 (I think) catalogue. It was to show the different sized Dinkys in relation to 22 vs 24 frets. The DK1 (short horns) was 22, the DX1 (long horns) is 24.
          I couldn't find a way to post the '87-'88 catalogues.
          Last edited by Mudlark; 05-22-2016, 01:18 PM.
          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Yep, it's definitely a Dinky shape, not as rounded as a Strat.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It's a bit weird that they were using the 'thin' TOM's (ABR-1 style I guess) in the 80's as Gibson had switched to the 'Nashville' TOM in the mid 70's.
              But then with the break angle to the body ferrules maybe they needed a narrower one for extra clearance.

Comment

It's a Dinky. Strats were very consistent, but the Dinky horns have been all over the place over the years.

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone. This place is an amazing resource of knowledge.

I just ordered a SD 59N/El Diablo for the guitar was thinking of replacing the TOM but what would be the correct version to get?

Comment

Looks like the TOM is from a newer Jackson. If it fits and works fine, no need to change it. I did the same thing to my Dinky, and the newer bridge is more sturdy than the old one.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X