Ngd: Usa dk1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ngd: Usa dk1

Was trying to decide between a new Charvel SoCal Pro Mod (in pink) or this. Was perusing GC's used inventory when I spotted this sexy biotch. Emailed the store twice for more pics, as it was rated "fair." They never responded. I took a chance. All in all, it's awesome. In the one picture GC posted, something looked "off" with the tip of the headstock. I was right.

Stock pickups, with a Lawrence L-500XL (my favorite pup ever) and two Jackson STK1s (I think).

Other than that, there's a very small ding on the front and chip on the arm contour. Compared to my lightning USA Gunslinger, it's in very good shape. Frankly, for a 20-year-old axe, it's in very good shape otherwise. Needs some adjustments, as I can easily see a neck bow, but maybe that was for shipping purposes. It's also missing the 3-way switch tip. This is an example of sheer laziness on GCs part. If you practiced great customer service, that would have been taken care of before shipping the guitar. Idiots.

Oh, and the tool who owned this before me stamped the words "BALZER" in two places on the neck. So, I guess it's stuck with the nickname Balzer... :wall bash: I simply don't understand why people do certain things to their guitars.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the raw neck. Can't wait to play her. Maybe tonight, if I get a chance. (I haven't really played in two years, btw.)

Anyway, here's my third Jackson.

Happy NGD. The Lightning Sky's are one of my two favorite graphics...the other being the Bengals.

The 'DK1' label wasn't used until about '96, and those early DK1's were 22 frets. 24 fret DK1's didn't come until the early 2000's.
    A '94 such as yours would've been called a Dinky Custom.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I count 24 frets...?

I also see a licensed Floyd...?

Really nice regardless. Hope you got it for a great price (if you're allowed to disclose it).

Comment

Unless I'm mistaken, this is a 1994 Dinky Custom. DK1's weren't around in '94.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
          I count 24 frets...?

I also see a licensed Floyd...?
          Yes. Dinky Custom with a JT-590/Schaller.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I re-read Mudlark's post. I see what he meant now. Reading comprehension.

Comment

Send the neck to Lee, he could fix it up. Either way very nice score, love that graphic. I don't deal with GC online anymore due to goofy shit, once I bought a USA King V and they didn't send the case -_-

Comment

Wow, so it's a Custom? Even cooler than I thought!

I paid $899 for it.

Who is Lee (sorry, if that's someone I should know - I have a shitty memory). Curious what the HS would cost to fix. Although, it doesn't bother me THAT much. I cold probably sand down the BALZER stamps.

It needs a major setup. It's sort of unplayable at the moment. Needs lighter strings an truss adjustment. It's also noisy, so I may have to shield the cavity when I have time (which means, 2019). Someone on another forum mentioned it's NOT actually a BL pickup. Does anyone know for sure?

Comment

It's probably a BL USA pickup (as that's what Jackson was using in some guitars at the time) and not the Bill & Becky version.

The Lee being referred to is Lee Garver at GMW Guitarworks.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    It's probably a BL USA pickup (as that's what Jackson was using in some guitars at the time) and not the Bill & Becky version.

The Lee being referred to is Lee Garver at GMW Guitarworks.
                    Ah, thanks, Toe. I have a small pit of disgust towards the BLUSA people, not to mention the pup is noisy and the 500XL I have in my Soloist is dead quiet. Seems like I need to place an order soon!

Does anyone know if the finish is a Dan Lawrence? I have a USA Gunslinger with a lightning job he did for BCR back then.
                    Last edited by dmoney666; 06-07-2016, 01:39 PM.

Comment

The term 'Custom' is strictly the model name...it's still a production model.

Production models began about 1990, but up until '95-'96 many of those production models were still called Dinky Custom, Rhoads Custom, Soloist Custom etc. Circa 1996 they began using model names such as RR1 and DK1.

The full model name and series would be Dinky Custom from the USA Series (USA Series = production models)
                      Same as today's USA Select line, but the name 'Select Series' wasn't used until late '90s-early 2000s...can't recall the year off the top of my head.

I was told via email by Dan Lawrence's wife that Dan is responsible for all Jackson LS graphics.

Comment

Sorry should've been more specific on the Lee but Toe is right. Lee did a hell of a resto job on a Jackson roundhorn V.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I'll probably keep the neck as-is for now. It doesn't bug me THAT much. The first thing I need to do is a full setup. But, I also think the pups may be ripe for replacing. It's just way too noisy. But, I haven't even opened the cavity yet to see what the story is. Since it's all original, I'm not expecting a mess (like a KV Pro I got a while ago that I had/have to completely re-wire).

When I get to all that is another story. With a FT job, two young kids and such, I've had like one free day in the past 9 months. I haven't really even played for two years. But the GAS never goes away.

Comment

Working...
                          X