Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different Neck Angles on SL2HT vs. SL2

Just a recent observation for the non-experts:

I've owned probably a dozen USA Jacksons down through the decades, including a black and brass non-trem '84 Rhoads, a typical white '85 Soloist Custom, one of those round horn Y2KVs, and a late '80s arched-top Soloist, as well as a gaggle of '90s and '00s 'Select' series SL1 Soloists. For a long time I'd wanted specifically an SL2HT. The compound radius board with jumbo frets are simply as good as it gets for me. The SL1s I had were nice, but I'm a 2-hum kinda guy, and more importantly, now that I am reduced to periodic sofa playing, though the locking Floyds hold tune really well, I was ready to settle down for the stability of a hardtail. (I just didn't want a black one or a trans brown one.) I spent at least a couple years waiting for something to turn up that appealed to me, and just got one. I thought I'd researched these guitars online quite a bit, but as it turns out, I missed one big detail; I naively thought that the SL2 with Floyd and SL2HT were the same guitar, albeit with different bridge and nut. This is not strictly correct. Maybe this was true in the era before recessed locking trems, but in the 'Select' series era, the non-trem version has the neck set at an angle to the body, a la a Les Paul, or a decent (non-'70s) SG, while the recessed trem guitars have either a much shallower neck angle, or no neck angle at all (like a Strat). I assume that the 'Shannon' type Soloist also has a neck angle, and I think my old Kahler-equipped '85 also had a neck angle.

I don't think its a bad thing at all; just different that what I'd expected. I've read lots of posts down through the years considering a HT Soloist, I wanted to bring this issue up, as I only found a post about it after I bought mine. I know this is prolly old news to the long-time Jackson guys on here. For anyone doubting me, do a Google Image search of SL2s and you'll see that most have the flat profile chromed pickup rings (SL1s, too), while the SL2HTs almost always have raised profile rings. The only exception was that satin blue Custom Shop HT on eBay right now, it has flat rings, but boy there is a lot of the side of the white EMG showing.

Yeah, non recessed and hardtail guitars have more of a neck angle than those with a recessed floyd..
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I guess I was thinking they recessed the bridge, like a newer Carvin. But it just didn't occur to me. This HT version reminds me more of my '85 Soloist than one of the newer Selects.

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
        Yeah, non recessed and hardtail guitars have more of a neck angle than those with a recessed floyd..
        This is technically not correct. A tune-o-matic bridge is not a hardtail. A real "hardtail" guitar has no neck angle, just like Fender Strat (hardtail or trem version) or a guitar with a recessed Floyd. Think Jake E. Lee's hardtail Fender and Charvels.

So guitars like Les Pauls with TOM bridges, as well as Jackson's SL1T and SL2HT, (or any model Jackson with a TOM for that matter) have more tilted back neck angles.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah, good point Joe - guess I've just got used to 'hardtail' being the term for a string thru tunamatic Jackson..
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Carvin cheats a little and has either no neck angle or a very shallow one, and recesses their tunomatics, as they offer both a non-trem strat bridge, a floyd and a tunomatic on the same guitar. But they are the exception. I too was using the HT term in the generic. I suppose if someone did order an old brass Charvel-style bridge on a modern soloist they'd put it on a no-neck angle guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by 1693power View Post
              The only exception was that satin blue Custom Shop HT on eBay right now, it has flat rings, but boy there is a lot of the side of the white EMG showing.
              Keep in mind, that is an actual hardtail model... HT. The SL2HT does not mean hardtail; the T stands for tune-o-matic, and the H stands for humbuckers.

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                Yeah, good point Joe - guess I've just got used to 'hardtail' being the term for a string thru tunamatic Jackson..
                A lot of people do that. But if someone goes to order an actual hardtail and doesn't realize the difference from TOM, they might be dissapointed.

Comment

Originally posted by 1693power View Post
                  Carvin cheats a little and has either no neck angle or a very shallow one, and recesses their tunomatics, as they offer both a non-trem strat bridge, a floyd and a tunomatic on the same guitar. But they are the exception.
                  They don't recess the Holdsworth models, and they didn't recess the SC90. I think it's kinda cool they did recess the TOMs on other models, though, as some people might not be able to get the bridge low enough for their liking. Though, I've never had a problem with my SC90. Mine's from 2001, before they even started angling the TOM back on the bass side.
                  SC.jpg

Comment

Working...
                  X