RR1 pickups...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR1 pickups...

Folks, I'm finding my rr1 a tad dark - I want more zing and "easy to get pinched harmonics"..any pickup suggestions?

:-)

Have you tried playing around on:

and

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups and bass pickups.

?

Comment

I'll check it out.

Comment

The SD pickup picker will say JB for the bridge for everything, no matter what other options you choose. As soon as you select "Humbucker" and "anything related to Rock" i.e. not Country or acoustic, it defaults to JB.

Get a Duncan PATB-2 for the bridge and put a JB in the neck wired for parallel running to its own 250K volume pot.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I know... I hate how the Duncan website tries to ram the JB down everyone's throats. I think the bias is too heavy that it's Seymour's personal favorite bridge pickup, which likely influenced the way the designers made the pickup picker to choose the JB under many situations.

Comment

how bout emg?

Comment

The saying goes, "EMGs sound the same in all guitars."

I'm not the biggest EMG fan so I tend to avoid the company as a whole, though I did like the EMG-85/89 in an old KE3. It was the opposite situation of yours though. While you report that your neckthru RR1 is dark, my KE3 was a bright-sounding bolt-on and benefited from fatter pickups like the EMG-85/89.

The great thing about current EMGs is that they have solderless connections, so if you don't like a pickup, you can quickly and easily swap it for another.

Comment

Duncan Distortion or Custom are worth a try. For actives I would try EMG 57/66 set or Duncan Blackouts Jeff Loomis set. Dimarzio X2N is good for harmonics too.
                Last edited by Kisonen; 09-06-2016, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Actives produce harmonics very well, but they also have their own particular sound. You might like it, or you might not. I used to put EMGs in everything, but I got bored with them, and now I prefer good passives.

I would second Kisonen's suggestions. And since you're basically just looking to replace the bridge pickup, it's easier to just pick a passive pup and drop in there. Actives generally don't blend well with passives.

Comment

Get a Duncan PATB-2 for the bridge

This... I bought an RR1T from toejam and he had already put a PATB2 in it.... I think you'll be happy...
                    Hear the universe scream
                    Bleeding from black holes
                    Whom horns careless
                    And whom God mourns

Comment

Working...
                    X