No announcement yet.

Shannon 98 Soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, that thing clearly needs a fret job asap. So, just have your luthier file those nubs down and do them the "normal" way. Nice score, btw!!

Comment

dmoney666, who were you addressing with your reply?

Comment

Originally posted by dmoney666 View Post
        Well, that thing clearly needs a fret job asap. So, just have your luthier file those nubs down and do them the "normal" way. Nice score, btw!!
        Well... i think these binding nibs has a purpose... maybe it will eleminate the protuding sharp edges of the fret end on the edge of the fingerboard..

I guess older guitars ie gibson has the idea of binding the tip of the fret end... cool idea i have never know of these untill i looked thru and watched the old Mike shannon factory clip explaining on details of the 30th annivesary soloist.... lol never know anything about binding nips, and specific neck angel for non recessed floyds...

I have a admit i didnt took notice of their 30th anniversary soloist

So am now very very interested to getta shannon build soloist.. but according to the original jackson hang tag.... i think shannon had maybe build part of the 98 soloist or maybe not at all... as i could see the clearly stated wiring job, setup, and assembly is not done by shannon but some other builders for this exclusive soloist 98 .... but Mike shannon has done on inspection of the guitar before deemed to be fit for consumer purchase ?
        Last edited by hopkinsWFG; 01-06-2017, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Well you know at a minimum he had to at least touch it to sign it.

Comment

I was always under the impression Mike Shannon built these guitars but now I'm seeing conflicting information ranging from his partial involvement to "this is just a tribute to him and all he did was sign the back of the headstock" and now I'm doubting myself, especially since I don't remember as much about these guitars as I did a decade ago.

It only matters to me from an information-gathering perspective, though I understand the obvious appeal of a total Shannon-build as an almost-guarantee for a "magical" guitar.

Another complaint about mine is that pinch harmonics are difficult to ring true and they sound very weak, despite my setup, strings, and playing style being consistent between my guitars.

Comment

I think Mike built the actual guitar and then the rest of the guys at Jackson finished it. I highly doubt Mike would do the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                I think that this picture from a 70's LP Custom that had been played to death is a bit of an extreme example of when fret nibs go wrong after many years of play. I'm sure the Shannon has very nicely done fret nibs. It would be nice to see a picture of that work.

And yes, a refret job can blow them away.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  I think that this picture from a 70's LP Custom that had been played to death is a bit of an extreme example of when fret nibs go wrong after many years of play.
                  The photo of the Gibson was only to illustrate binding nibs, since I didn't have any convenient pictures of the binding nibs on a Shannon Soloist.

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  I'm sure the Shannon has very nicely done fret nibs. It would be nice to see a picture of that work.
                  Ask and ye shall receive!

Comment

Wow very clean SHS1 you have !!

Comment

" I replaced them for APC 200 singles and APC Persuader Lead humbucker. "
                      Some day I will get to try out those pickups.
                      >^v^<

Comment

I mentioned in another thread but I'll repeat here. The Pearly Gates was selected by Donny Wade not Mike Shannon. He was in management at the time. I like my Shannon Soloists except for that bridge pickup. In my Blue Ghost Flames its been replaced by a Dimarzio Super 3. I have one of the Slime Green ones as well and its stock
                        Rudy
                        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                          dmoney666, who were you addressing with your reply?
                          Sorry, I was confused. I thought that pic of the LP neck above was a pic of your axe.

Comment

If you want to keep a stock look and increase performance/tone. I like the Duncan Stk singles, they sound pretty good and no single coil noise. Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                            X