22 fret soloist *why* and value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22 fret soloist *why* and value

I was looking for opinions if a 22 fret soloist 25.5 scale length, is going to be of lower value than it's 2 octave counterpart?

Also a stop tail rather than string thru? I came across a guitar configured this way and I have issues trying to comprehend why someone would spec it this way...

Are these simple user preference issues / and not going to subtract value from an otherwise similar guitar if it did have string through and 24 frets?

I know the frets are the same distance apart, and I think the neck pickup will be closer (a tiny bit) to the 12th fret (or however you want to measure it)

Any obvious benefit or non-benefit to stoptail versus string through (obviously comparing hardtails here, and not Floyd vs hardtail)

I guess it would be more unique configured this way, making it more desirable to "someone" ? Or not..

thanks

Is it a regular Soloist or an archtop?
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
      Is it a regular Soloist or an archtop?
      Hi - not an archtop

Comment

in "jackson speak" take a look at a RR, 22 fret (for the most part). there is a subtle difference in tone of the neck pickup be it placed on a 22 fret and a 24 fret neck. Some swear by it, some dismiss (if "they" use the neck pup). A single coil / humbucker type single coil in the neck position on a 24 fret can get really close to the tone of a 22 fret type as well. It's all personal prefference and what the player's ears perceive. As far as worth, value? Personally, I'd hit up a 22 fret soloist, short scale fusion type
        >^v^<

Comment

I've yet to own a TOM guitar that didn't suck balls...they dig into your hand and always seem to have intonation issues.

Comment

If you're talking about this one:

Jackson USA Custom Shop Soloist SL2H E-Gitarre in Trans Red Lackierung, mit Kopfplatte in Korpusfarbe, Ebenholzgriffbrett und zwei Seymour Duncan Humbucker-Tonabnehmer. Ein klassisches Jackson USA Modell, hergestellt direkt vom berühmten Jackson Custom Shop Team.

then it's a CS guitar with a lot of unusual features and was just specced the way someone wanted it. It's definitely an odd one (nasty colour IMO) and I'd have thought there would be a limited market it for it, which would explain why that sellers, who are crazily overpriced at the best of times want an outrageous amount more for the second hand USA Select SLATQH the have for sale, which also has a TOM, 25.5 inch scale and 22 frets:

Personally, I much prefer fixed over floating, but unlike Axe I have never found a bridge (TOM, Kahler, Floyd, Fixed) that stuck into my hand so that wouldn't be a factor for me. I have a 24 fret CS RR with a TOM and Schaller fine-tuning stop-tail, and that would be my preferred set up. I am sure it would be worth more with a Floyd, as that's what most people seem to prefer. Then again, the RR has a rosewood fretboard which is even more inexplicable.

Comment

I believe some of the first Jackson Soloists were 22 frets. Remember Spacey T?

But his had a vintage style trem, not fixed trem.
              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
              Gotta get away from here.
              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

whats going on with that headstock or am i just seeing it funny?

Comment

TOM's with a stop bar look weird on a flat top guitar. That would be a lot cooler as a string thru w/ black hardware. Fugly CS gone wrong IMHO.

Comment

Nope it has an explorer type headstock and IIRC it's a set neck not neckthru.

Originally posted by Schadenfreude View Post
                    whats going on with that headstock or am i just seeing it funny?

Comment

It definitely looks like a bolt on.

Comment

I have a 22 fret Soloist 7, and it looks pretty much like that one as far as placement of things:

The upper fret access is awesome, but the string thru looks much better, IMO.
                        Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I've always wanted to order a 22 fret soloist custom , black and brass with v-trem, I just don't want to wait 2 years to potentially get the wrong guitar.

Comment

I approve!

I'm one of those fucked up individuals who likes weird configs.

22 fret neckthru Dinky strathead!

The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

You've got to love both of those eaeolian and xenophobe. Here's my 22-fret TOM contribution:

And the 24 fret TOM and tail-piece:

Comment

Working...
                              X