Adrian Smith USA vs SDX question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adrian Smith USA vs SDX question

Hello, I hope this is the right place to post this as this is a USA question... kinda. I acquired the SDX version of the Adrian Smith Jackson super strat. Very good deal, 388 dollars.

Anyway, I was able to find the USA pickups where someone had changed their USA model out and they sold them to me online. Does anyone know if the wiring is the same? In other words, taking the Jackson pickups out and putting in the Dimarzio and two Fender single coils that come in the USA version, do I just solder it where the other ones were exactly?

He also said he sent me something else from the USA model, (forgive my ignorance on this subject,) he said he sent me the potentiometer from the USA model as well.

I do not know what a potentiometer is, I also do not know if the pots are the same on the USA model. On the SDX, it's 500k volume 250k tone I believe.

I have soldered pickups in myself before but never on anything that has a pick guard. I bring that up because I also bought a white pick guard as it came with a black one because I wanted the maple neck.

So in summary, do I just simply wire it the same exact way with the new pick guard except of course the USA version pickups? What do I do with the potentiometer?

If the wiring is different, where can I get a wiring diagram?

I'll leave the technical info to those more informed than me, but a potentiometer is simply a volume pot, tone pot etc.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

A potentiometer is used to control the volume or tone. Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio both have wiring diagrams on their web sites. HSS is HSS. They all basically wire the same. Use a site called Google to help you find them.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I understand I can use a site called Google.... However it does not answer a question that I have about all of this. I searched before I posted it or else I wouldn't post it. The pots, the pot he is giving me from the USA model is it any different? The reason I want to know is because don't the Dimarzio pickup need a 500k tone pot to really be what it's supposed to be? I've read... on that google site you speak of, that I can't have the best of both worlds. That the pickup will not act the way it's supposed to in the Adrian smith guitar unless I use 500k. Would it be better to just put the 500k volume pot and 500k tone pot and take out the 250k tone pot? I don't know what that would do to the single coils, however I can live without those. I have Fender Strats I like for the single coil sound. I would like to keep them turned on though.

Comment

You can use any pot value you want. The 250k will make it sound a little darker/warmer. The 500k will be a little brighter. And a 1meg will be even brighter.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yes, the pickups should wire in the same way. Find where the single coils go on the switch, remove the originals, install the new ones the same way. On the bridge pickup, the USA Dimarzio will likely have 4 conductors and a ground. So find the Dimarzio color codes and wire the hot to the switch like the old one was, wire the grounds to the back of any pot, and wire the "series link" or "coil tap" wires together and tape off.
            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
            Gotta get away from here.
            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Before you swap the pickups out of the SDX, play it enough so you can get a good memory of what they sound like, then put in the USA ones and see what you prefer. i mention this as I have 2 USA Adrian Smiths (maple board and ebony board) and I don't like the Dimarzio Super Distortion and swapped the humbuckers for a Dimarzio tone zone. i also have the maple board SDX (couldn't pass it up for $250 in mint/unplayed condition labeled as a used guitar from Guitar Center). I very much like the stock humbucker in the SDX and have no desire to change it.

Comment

The guitar manus will have to be careful in releasing guitars as good as the SDX for super cheap. They may make it almost impossible to sell the USA models to average people who could afford them if they considered it worthwhile (like ME)!!
                '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
                '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
                '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
                '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
                '90 Charvel 475 XL
                '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
                Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
                Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
                Marshall JVM410H

Comment

Yup pots are to preference. I usually like 250k with my humbuckers... but I also use a bright amp (jcm800) so that might be a big factor as to why

Comment

Working...
                  X