Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Other Custom Control Placement"?

Guys,

I haven't been to the forum or the Jackson website in a while, but I just noticed that the Custom Select order form now has a $300 option to have a custom control placement that is different than the options listed on the order sheet. I HAVE BEEN WANTING THIS FOREVER!!!

Can anyone on the forum explain just how "custom" we can design our control placement, and how do we give them our control design? (Volume Knob 1/2" to the back just isn't enough room for my hand)

Thanks!

I'm a ham-fister myself and find that the NR trem helps out enormously. It raises up the bridge and my hand sails over the top of the volume knob, even without the 1/2" back placement. I just don't get along with most recessed trem control layouts.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
      I'm a ham-fister myself and find that the NR trem helps out enormously. It raises up the bridge and my hand sails over the top of the volume knob, even without the 1/2" back placement. I just don't get along with most recessed trem control layouts.
      That's cool, but I like being able to do trem pull ups. I need a recessed trem.

Comment

Originally posted by claxor View Post
        That's cool, but I like being able to do trem pull ups. I need a recessed trem.
        That's based on a bit of a misconception, I have all my NR trems set up for 1 1/2 step pullup at the G string. Some have a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
          That's based on a bit of a misconception, I have all my NR trems set up for 1 1/2 step pullup at the G string. Some have a bit more.
          Ok... but I like the action and neck/string angle on a recessed Jackson. Anyway, but to my original question about the custom control layout, please.

Comment

You can do what you want within the space of the cavity. This is my standard spec:

Popular is not the same as good
            Rare is not the same as valuable
            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
              You can do what you want within the space of the cavity. This is my standard spec:
              Ok, but if it's my first custom select order with Jackson, how do I communicate exactly how I want the controls to be placed? What is the preferred way they want us to send them the instructions?

Comment

Ok, but if it's my first custom select order with Jackson, how do I communicate exactly how I want the controls to be placed? What is the preferred way they want us to send them the instructions?
                Work with your dealer and the order form.
                http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Either send them a reference picture and they'll replicate that, or if you're totally fastidious, measure it out and draw a diagram showing the locations. There's less room for error that way..

Comment

You can pull up MORE with a non-recessed trem. Only us old farts understand the benefits of a non-recessed trem. They are so much better. People today just don't get it. Very good video here, I'll let Buddy Blaze explain it to you.

And in fact, people so did NOT get it, that Buddy Blaze model did not sell worth a darn and they were blown out cheap all over eBay years ago. I have 2 of them and they are honestly some of the best playing guitars in my arsenal.

Comment

Recessing a bridge is about the neck angle/depth, not trem movement. The reality is the amount of pull up is nothing to do with recessed vs non recessed - it's about how much room there is under the bridge. A recessed bridge with minimal routing won't pull up far, but a non recessed with a large neck angle can pull up loads.

Comment

Originally posted by lepard View Post
                        Y

And in fact, people so did NOT get it, that Buddy Blaze model did not sell worth a darn and they were blown out cheap all over eBay years ago. I have 2 of them and they are honestly some of the best playing guitars in my arsenal.
                        I think the gaudy graphics and inlays had more to do with it not selling than the top-mount Floyd. Not really the most popular pickup config either. The top-mount Floyd is about the only thing that does have going for it (for me anyway) - I have no doubt it plays great though.

Comment

I did the full custom shop on these but had the control placed the same as my Performance guitars. Also had a very small cavity..
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                            Recessing a bridge is about the neck angle/depth, not trem movement. The reality is the amount of pull up is nothing to do with recessed vs non recessed - it's about how much room there is under the bridge. A recessed bridge with minimal routing won't pull up far, but a non recessed with a large neck angle can pull up loads.
                            What about the action on non-recessed Jacksons? (string to fretboard height) I like very low action, and the non-recessed guitars I've played on have a higher action feel.

Comment

What about the action on non-recessed Jacksons? (string to fretboard height) I like very low action, and the non-recessed guitars I've played on have a higher action feel.
                              Action is determined by the height of the strings over the fingerboard, not the body. My NR guitars have very low action. The height of the strings over the body is higher on a NR guitar because of the neck angle. This is a plus IMHO and gives your pick more room to dig in.

Comment

Working...
                              X