"Other Custom Control Placement"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
    Action is determined by the height of the strings over the fingerboard, not the body. My NR guitars have very low action. The height of the strings over the body is higher on a NR guitar because of the neck angle. This is a plus IMHO and gives your pick more room to dig in.
    I like having my hand and wrist closer to the body and barely resting on the floyd. Helps me relax my picking hand and arm more.

If the benefits are so good with non-recessed, then what are the benefits to having a recessed floyd?

Comment

I am an old fart too and recessed vs non recessed, regarding the amount of pull up, is the SAME. In either situation the strings fret out at a certain point. It is merely a personal preference. Unless you like you action sky high. My reasoning, for preferring a recessed floyd over non recessed, has everything to do with the amount of stress put on the studs. The higher the Floyd sits over the body, the more stress put on the studs, which after time, will loosen the bushings inside the body causing stability issues. My recent DK1, I just picked up, had this very problem. Some dudes like the angle of a non recessed, which I like sometimes too, because it gives that Les Paul feel. I have been building guitars forever and unless you have the huge studs from the early 90's, i would recommend recessing. I do not understand why Schaller stopped making the oversized studs. I still have 3 sets of them and will never part with them, the newer skinny bushings suck. My 10 cents, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by claxor View Post
        I like having my hand and wrist closer to the body and barely resting on the floyd. Helps me relax my picking hand and arm more.

If the benefits are so good with non-recessed, then what are the benefits to having a recessed floyd?
        A recessed floyd allows you to rest your hand and be more precise in your picking, while a non recessed, provides that tone pros feel, allowing you to pivot you hand above the strings, much like a les paul, or stop tail bridge.

Comment

Things are a bit "squarer" with recessed trems, which I think is why builders have gravitated there. Everything is just a bit cocked on a NR trem build.

Comment

Ok, guys, do you think this control layout would be accepted by the builders when doing a custom select order (not a full-on custom shop order)? Closest switch to your hand is the 3-way toggle switch:

Last edited by claxor; 01-29-2017, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure they'd do that for the 'custom control placement' upcharge..
              Popular is not the same as good
              Rare is not the same as valuable
              Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Awesome! Now, how to get the price closer to the $2,000 to $2,500 range...

Comment

That will be the hard part. My CS attempt came in at $3300 and it was just a SL2HT with reverse headstock in white. No custom control option. I don't think $2k for a CS order is possible. But if it is id jump on it.
                  Heath

Comment

With a stock SL2H being 3,673 with no changes / mods, even if you got a 25% discount you're still at $2,700

Comment

Working...
                    X