My 87 Yellow Soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 87 Yellow Soloist

A few members were asking for pics on this, so just sharing pics of my yellow Soloist. Based on the serial that i finally got around to looking up, she is a 1987 first year Ontario custom shop order. Not a San Dimas shop as i originally thought, but just as good in my opinion. Sorry, if not the best pictures.

What nice player and she is pretty too. Nicely bound dot neck with ebony board, original floyd. Pickups are Dimarzio super 3 in the bridge and a couple of seymour duncan stacked singles. Has push/pull pots that unstack the neck and coil tap bridge pickups. Has a big brass block, D-Tuna and back stop. The yellow is not the bright yellow on some newer models, it is has a bit more mustard influence to it in person. Really reminded me of Steve Vai's yellow soloist from the 80's with the eyes all over it. That is was drove me to buy it some years back. Always dug his old Jacksons from the David Lee Roth days.

Some additional details on the neck angle. This has the vintage neck angle that requires the floyd to sit higher than a guitar with a more modern non-recessed floyd. Kinda like a violin, at least thats always what it made me think of.

Let know what you think...

Last edited by For_The_Love_Of_Jems; 01-30-2017, 03:01 AM.

Wow.. very clean classic guitar !

Comment

Gorgeous!

Comment

Very cool guitar, and definitely has a Vai vibe to it. Looks like it's had a few mods over the years. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Incredible

Comment

Very clean!

What's under the Floyd? Is it a Schaller trem route?

Comment

Wow! That is seriously cool! Love the color!

Comment

Very cool, love it. I have a few 87's and they are some of the best!

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                  Very clean!

Yeah, that pull-up route looks odd. What's going on there?

Comment

Good god that's in amazing shape. Did it start out that yellow ? I have a 1988 Charvel Model 5A that started out pearl white and is now close to that color.

Comment

Originally posted by lepard View Post
                      Good god that's in amazing shape. Did it start out that yellow ? I have a 1988 Charvel Model 5A that started out pearl white and is now close to that color.
                      Yes, it is truly yellow.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                        Very clean!

The route is shallow. Almost like it is for extra pullback action on the floyd. I have concluded that the current Floyd itself is most likely not original to the guitar, and maybe would have had the shorter saddle springs originally. I added a brass big block. I do believe this came with a floyd as the nut is a floyd nut and was an original rear bolt mount. I have found a few other similar era soloists with this route. One for sale on the bay has one right now. Not certain, but seems possible that it is transitional between no route mount and fully recessed.

Comment

Wow, I'm a fan of shark fins, but I'd take that in a second.
                          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I have it's cousin- '87 Soloist

Last edited by Mr. Poon; 01-31-2017, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Wish I could remember how to post pics....

Comment

Working...
                              X