Did Jackson USA/Ontario Build This ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Jackson USA/Ontario Build This ?

This was right at the same time Jackson was building USA bolt-on necks for BC Rich. A lot of the 90's unfinished neck bolt-on strat bodied USA BC Riches have necks made in the Jackson shop in Ontario.

This guitar just screams "Made in Ontario". Look at the exact copy of a Soloist neck joint. I'm guessing Jackson USA built it, Dan Lawrence painted it and BC Rich assembled it with their own hardware. Too bad about the headstock/neck repair. That's a really cool guitar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BC-Rich-USA-...UAAOSw4DJYhvDG
    Last edited by lepard; 02-06-2017, 11:17 AM.

Watching, but not buying. My USA ST-III is every bit as awesome as my DK-1. I like how the ST-III has a one piece neck, but I guess you need to be more careful. It is also a snakeskin (grey).

Comment

Jackson really made the BC Rich necks?! I had no idea. I would be very surprised to know that BC Rich is actually made by Jackson, how bizarre!
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
        Jackson really made the BC Rich necks?! I had no idea. I would be very surprised to know that BC Rich is actually made by Jackson, how bizarre!
        Same here. That's pretty cool to know.
        I know a BCR guy that may/may not be surprised to hear that.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Yep, wish I could find the photos but there have been photos circulating on the JCF before from inside the Jackson Ontario shop that showed a bin of bolt-on BC Rich necks mixed in with Jackson necks. In fact, I have some pics from 2001 NAMM where I personally toured the Ontario shop with Tim Wilson and took pics. I'm pretty sure at least one of those pics has some BC Rich necks in it. I'll have to see if I can dig those up.

Comment

It wasn't a permanent thing. Jackson did occasional contract work for BC Rich and others in both the San Dimas and Ontario eras. Only happened here and there, small batches of necks, etc. No one has ever said so, but I suspect they took these occasional jobs on during slow demand times or when they could otherwise fit it into their normal production schedules. There are definitely pics out there showing BC Rich necks and guitars in the J/C racks.

Comment

No Jackson did not build those. Jackson did build the BCR Boltons very early on 79-81 but they were short lived, son o a rich, Phoenix and another I forget the name of. These are basically PREPRO charvels in BCR shapes. The STiii was actually designed by a former Jackson employee who was working for BCR at the time. The healless body to neck joint was done by BCR long before Jackson changed to that style of transition. As for the BCR necks in the Jackson factory no clue but there are a number of builders that were employed by both companies (not at the same time) and a number of BCR employee builds that are very Jackson like including a RR, star and hydra w a BCR headstock. They also used some of the same custom painters and were located not far from each other. BCR USA necks do not have scarf joints and there are other differences that I doubt Jackson would retool their production for to outsource, especially since BCR had more than one factory making them...the secret TJ plant.

Comment

According to http://www.premierguitar.com/article...ds-famous-vs-1, Grover and Bernie were friends. It might not be hard to imagine Grover building for Bernie. Just look at this quote, where Grover actually MADE guitars for Bernie.

Jackson says he added the beveled edges while carving the body: “I was making some BC Rich Bich’s right about that time for my friend Bernie Rico. Those had beveled edges and I added the beveled edges to the Rhoads body. I ripped off my buddy! I’m being honest, okay?”

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                  No Jackson did not build those. Jackson did build the BCR Boltons very early on 79-81 but they were short lived, son o a rich, Phoenix and another I forget the name of.
                  Nighthawk mate. Thanks for correcting these jokers...
                  The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

The Jackson USA Shop in Ontario DID build BC Rich USA bolt-on necks in the 90's and early 00's. The relationship was much more than just the pre-pro parts in 79-81. In fact, those 79-81 pre-pro parts have a horrible name for having bad necks and are not collectible in any way.

Comment

From inside the Jackson Custom Shop in Ontario. What do you see peaking out of the bin ?

Comment

.........and here's some guitars they were building that weren't even Jacksons(I'm not even sure what they are). Notice the diamond inlays ?

Comment

And here are the supposedly missing file cabinets that Fender keeps lying about, full of the Custom Shop records:

Comment

more of those diamond inlay guitars:

Comment

Originally posted by lepard View Post
                              .........and here's some guitars they were building that weren't even Jacksons(I'm not even sure what they are). Notice the diamond inlays ?

Dunno what those diamond-inlaid necks are, but behind them I see Jackson Swee-Tone headstocks (the ones with the single J on the headstock face) and feel like these headstocks would have suited the Jackson Monarkh better than the SLS-style 3x3 pointy headstock.

Comment

Working...
                              X