Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maple neck, ebony FB with poplar wings ? Old jackson soloist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple neck, ebony FB with poplar wings ? Old jackson soloist?

Hi guys... been wondering how is the tone on the "old jackson soloist" the maple neck ebony fretboard and poplar wings?

I heard the poplar is a "cheaper" option to mahogany...? I guess they resemble similar tone qualities to a mahogany? And if so how will the tone equates to especially with a neck thru maple and ebony fretboard?

Warm chunky with well define bottom end due to the maple neck thru?

I find the poplar guitars are pretty 'edgy' sounding - very defined with good bottom end, but somehow not very warm. Maybe it's a lack of mids or something, but they're great for thrash IMO
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

It be have a fair noticable difference between the regular all mahogany soloist and the regular maple neck with alder wings ?

Comment

Poplar is nothing like mahogany, it's very similar to alder in tone.

A maple NT with either alder or poplar body wings will generally have good mid-range, and be medium bright with some accented highs. An all-mahogany NT will be medium dark in tone, with more pronounced mids.

Comment

Yes, similar to alder in tone. Can range in weight from light to heavy.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have found the difference in poplar or alder wings in a neck thru to have less impact on the tone compared to bolt-ons and set necks. I find it similar to alder but different than mahogany with more lows and highs.

Comment

Oh... my bad haha sorry as i always thought the poplar is a similar version to mahogany... well thanks anyway for the correction

Will be getting one poplar wings soon and hope ita going to come clean and plays fantastic

Comment

Working...
              X