Verifying authenticity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verifying authenticity

Hey everyone, great community here. Recently I acquired a jackson sl-1 from my girlfriend's father. He purchased the guitar in the 80s and i would just like confirmation that it is or isn't authentic jackson. Shreds gnar np but there is a small area of exposed wire by both single coil pickups, the tune lock does not have the 2 screws on the adjacent side of the neck, spring tension holding the FRtremolo is missing 2 springs. Certainly not implicit of a fake but certainly suggestive indicators. I am having trouble cross referencing the serial numbers. Jackson site goes back to the 1986 San Dimas, but I think this guitar was purchased prior to that year, although I am unsure. Serial number is 98120113. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Serial number would indicate a Japanese model. Pictures would help it being identified. Is the serial number on a sticker or stamped at the end of the fingerboard?
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Any USA soloist would have a serial # that either starts with a J and is followed with four numbers or starts with a U and is followed by 5 numbers. The U serial numbers were for production models and started in 1990. The J serials are the older ones and the custom builds.

If it is a Japanese one (as the serial # would indicate), it would be newer than 86. Jackson started making the Japanese models in 1990 I believe.

Comment

Furthermore, a 9 serial number followed by seven digits is from the 2000s decade, Japanese build. So even further removed from an 80s Jackson, because there are no 80s Japanese Jacksons. Only 80s Japanese Charvels.

Post some photos. They're always the best way to authenticate and identify models. Sign up for a free account at an image-hosting website such as Photobucket, ImageShack, Imgur, etc. (there are plenty of hosts available), upload your images there, and then copy/paste the images here for us.

Comment

Yeah a pic will be needed to identify the model, but that's actually an 8 digit number indicating 1998 made in India. Japanese were 6-7 digits.
          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I stand corrected! Damn confusing serial numbering system...

Comment

SLX appears to be the model. I will post pictures as soon as I get the chance. Thanks for sharing your expertise, even Jackson manufacturers are unsure and I am waiting their response. Seems more likely I'll find my inquiry's resolution here more promptly.

Comment

one more louder

Comment

Ugghhh, the SLX is a relatively recent import Jackson, nowhere near a USA SL-1...
                  "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                  Gotta get away from here.
                  Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                  Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Not an SLX, nor any Soloist as Soloists are neck thru. The bolt on version is the Dinky.

I'm anxious to await Fender's response if they were asked. Their responses oftentimes are laughable, incorrect or simply 'we have no records on pre-Fender models'.

They'll never live down telling that guy a few months ago a 2011 Indian SLX was a pre-Fender Japanese model.
                    And that was the HEAD of customer relations.

This serial will probably scare them away. Pre-Fender may be the reply. Hell, some get no reply.
                    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

So it was bought in the '80s? Pics would help.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

shit is burnt af why bother with acquiring jackson in the first place? money? oh. yeh checks out. This shit shreds beastly but i have minor but frequent nuisances with some of the hardware, especially which maintaining the FR trem bridge or god forbid I change strings. took me 3 days to flush the t bridge. stuffed paper under the bridge because the hardware was maxing out so achieving flush bridge through those means wasnt an option at that point. guess what is no longer flush. user error? most definitely. Any advice on what adjustments to make specifically prior to stringing? I can imagine the only way to adjust the level of bridge would be to adjust as necessary before applying the strings' tension. I skipped the engineering degree. I thought the schematic was a color by numbers. Good news is i have a gorgeously framed full color(black) picture of a jackson hanging above the jackson. Spent the whole crayon and it shows.

Comment

Chances are it has one of those unlogo'd JT500's, or JT580's, or one of those questionable tremolos that came on many lower end models at that time.

Definitely post a pic or two. Those neck plates/serials can be removed, so it could be anything. I have no explanation about the '80s connection. Afraid I'm no help on the Floyd setup either

Comment

here's a good article for how to float a bridge.

Adam Reiver - How to float your locking tremolo Welcome to the first installment of Trem Talk! Having been a dedicated Floyd Rose ...

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X