Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any info on this Marty Friedman version?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any info on this Marty Friedman version?

Got this from someone who had it listed on EBay. Really well put together but I've never seen one with the neck pickup like this.

Is this possibly a Musician's Friend limited build or something of that nature? Any information is appreciated.
    Attached Files

Neck pickup was added. Looks like bare wood in the route.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

What he said,
      also looks like a sustainer pick up which would maybe explain the 2 toggles

Comment

That's a Duncan Hot Stack added, not a sustainer. Also looks metallic green. Did they make the KE1 in green?
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My understanding is that the original finish was black and that the metallic green was a refinish (it's about the cleanest I've ever seen for a diy job) Next time I do a string change I am going to pull out the neck pickup and take a closer look. Makes the most sense that it would have been added although who I bought it from thought it was stocked that way.

Would an original finish have been finished inside the pickup cavity?

Comment

Unless the guy masked off the neck pickup cavity, which no one does, it was added after the refinish.

Factory finish would have had black shielding paint like the bridge pickup cavity.

As well, it's slanted, and very far away from the edge of the fretboard, especially for a 24 fret.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Alissarr View Post
              My understanding is that the original finish was black and that the metallic green was a refinish (it's about the cleanest I've ever seen for a diy job) Next time I do a string change I am going to pull out the neck pickup and take a closer look. Makes the most sense that it would have been added although who I bought it from thought it was stocked that way.
              A KE1 only had one pickup and one the one volume knob furthest from the bridge. The other knob and two switches were definitely added with the neck pickup.
              I assume the one switch would be for switching between pickups and the other is for a coil split of one of them. Unless there's now two separate volumes and both switches act as coil splits.

Comment

You are correct with the function of the switches. Thanks for all the replies to this. I assumed the neck pup was added, but it is so cleanly done I wasn't sure.

Comment

Cool. It doesn't look too bad, just a little further back than you'd normally put a neck pup, but as long as it sounds good and works well for you, have fun with it.

Comment

Working...
                  X