NGD: Shannon Soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: Shannon Soloist

I've had this for a few weeks now, but a NGD-post is better late than never!

I've had a couple of Soloists during the last six months, but neither of the first felt right in my hands. The first one was Ferrari Red SL1 which I got pretty cheap from Italian ebay, but it was pretty beaten and the frets were sticking off of the fretboard. I let that guitar go as I didn't have any motivation to do a refret to that one. Then I got my hands on a really mint Charvel 650XL. Specwise it was a spot on, but somehow I didn't bond with it. The neck was a bit too chunky for my hands, so I let that go too.

Then via this board, a nice -98 Shannon Soloist found it's way to my hands. The specs are quite obvious to anyone, and even if it's almost the same as the Charvel I had it still feels really different. The neck is what it was on the red SL1 (great!) and it's not as heavy as the Charvel. It has the non-recessed floyd which I like, even if I'm not that hardcore non-recessed guy. The condition is really good, only couple of dings on the body. The frets have lots of wear, but these are meant to be played. I'm probably going to refret it some point with SS-frets. This guitar really plays and resonates well.

The photos:

Setup time!

I'm really digging the old school logo.

I had to replace some of the hardware - the floyd studs were quite worn out. It seems this has been played a lot!

The black color is really nice even if it's not a metallic black. Actually, I think I prefer this normal black over the metallic one.

Headstock again - the logo is cool. Shannon's autograph is a nice detail too.

Close-up of the body. I've been thinking of changing the pickups to passive ones, but we'll see.

Funny thing is, that the -98 catalog says that the body is made of poplar. All the original hangtags came with the guitar, and there was this one tag, probably made by Seymour Duncan as the Duncan logo is bigger than Jackson's. It says that the body wood would be basswood? I don't know, it sounds and feels great so poplar or basswood - not that big difference to me!

Thanks to user djpharoah for really smooth and easy dealing! Highly recommended trading partner.

I'd put my money on poplar.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Nice, congrats. Love that model.

Comment

As an owner of a Shannon Soloist since 2004, this is the first time I've seen any mention of basswood. (Unfortunately I am at least the second owner and my guitar didn't come to me with hangtags.)

That is also the first time I've seen the "SSL5V" designation used for the Custom Staggered single coils. I've never seen the V before in any Seymour Duncan pickup nomenclature. My hunch is that the V is the Roman numeral for 5, suggesting alnico 5, but the SSL-5 already comes with alnico 5 by default, and Seymour normally uses the Arabic numeral 5 (like the Duncan Custom 5)... so there goes my guess...

Friggin' hangtags. Supposed to trust them for accurate information but they just beg more questions.

Really great photos! Congrats!

Comment

Love it. Great photos as well

Comment

Very nice! I'd also say poplar, as that's what they were always specced as. Not many Jacksons had basswood except a few of the '90s Dinky Reverse models.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Right. Basswood was more common on Jackson/Charvel imports.

Jacksons: http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/jack...ries_1990-1995 (search for "basswood")

Charvels: http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/char...apan_1986-1991 (search for "basswood")

Comment

Nice Shannon there. I am wondering if i have that red soloist at this moment =)

Comment

It's poplar, same EXACT guitar as my model 6, aside from the fret board and origin of build. Thinking of making my model 6 a Shannon clone, with a 1/8 flame top, if I can ever manage to just finish the damn thing. Anyway, nice find, it will serve you well. Poplar seems to be a little snappier than Basswood, which is a good thing. Mine sounds killer, acoustically, nice and woody, so should that one.
                  P.S. for those reading, just to add knowledge and to combat against scammers etc.. Soloists, and all other USA neck through/set neck guitars, or models that do not have a neck plate, will always have the serial number stamped at the end of the fret board. Always check, just in case!!!
                  Last edited by ps43203; 08-04-2017, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I'd suspect that the tag is made by Seymour Duncan and that's been added to all guitars with Duncan's. Someone has just messed up with the woods... Anyways, great guitar!

Originally posted by ed View Post
                    Nice Shannon there. I am wondering if i have that red soloist at this moment =)
                    The serial number of that one is U12061, does it match?

Comment

Yep thats the one. But i dont think i bought it from you. It was another guy in M.net. And yes it is pretty beat up attleast the paint job. I was thinking it might have been resprayed at some point but maybe its the Italian climate =).

Can you tell me how were the frets sticking out from the fretboard? I cant really see them sticking that much. Or maybe the previous owner had some fret job done.

Comment

Originally posted by ed View Post
                        Yep thats the one. But i dont think i bought it from you. It was another guy in M.net. And yes it is pretty beat up attleast the paint job. I was thinking it might have been resprayed at some point but maybe its the Italian climate =).

Can you tell me how were the frets sticking out from the fretboard? I cant really see them sticking that much. Or maybe the previous owner had some fret job done.
                        I sent you a pm regarding this - check your inbox.

Comment

Congrats man - going to miss her!

Comment

I am excited to see someone got this one and is enjoying it. Reallly wanted to grab it myself but I need to clear a few out before I can justify adding anything to the stable.

Comment

Gloss black would be my preferred as well. Grats!
                              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X