Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Work order numbers in CS guitars (San Dimas/Ontario)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work order numbers in CS guitars (San Dimas/Ontario)?

Hi. New here. And greetings from Finland!

Well, I just recently bought old Jackson Custom Shop Strat 24. Plays like a dream, sounds really good.. but here it gets little tricky; its been modded/customised here in Finland in 1991 and someone (I think the guy who modded it!) changed the neck plate to Fort Worth import one WITHOUT a serial number!

Anyway, desperate to fond out more about my guitar I took it a part last night and found out that the body and neck have the same work order numbers. So its a match! Thats nice, right? WO# is 6405. Also there was no Jackson stamps in the bodys neck cavity. There was this modding guys stamp instead! So I bet he erased those original Jackson stamps and put there his own. Bummer.

The main question here is that do those WO numbers tell anything about when my guitar was made? I did read somewhere that last guitars that left San Dimas factory were WO# 8000 something? Is that correct?

My CS really is a special one. It really is. I'll post some pics later. Never seen one like it:

-Ebony fretboard with reverse shark fins
    -24 frets
    -Pearl White strat body with same PW color headstock
    -Candy red Jackson logo with white "R" and white MIU text
    -OFR
    -some custom moddings. I tell you more when I get those pics uploaded.

Btw, great forum! Been learning a lot here in a past week!

Looking at the specs it looks really cool and definitely a Custom Shop Dinky. 24 fret on dinky strat is
    quite rare actually. Others can tell you a lot more when you get some pics posted here.

I'm from Finland too and don't remember ever seeing that one.

Comment

Everyone is from Finland

Comment

I contacted the original owner. Yes. I found him The thing is that seller that I bought this from gave me a cd and told me that it was played with this guitar. So there was this guys name in the cd cover and found him at the facebook.

So it just happens to be that Im the third owner of this guitar. Original owner sold this guitat to the last owner who only kept this in a case for over 25 years and then one day a week ago sold it to me.

Original owner told me that he used to work in this guitar shop in Helsinki in the 80's. He had access to good wood so he selected the very special and very old woods from the year 1760, sended those to Jackson Custom Shop and they made this guitar to him. It cost him a fortune back then in the 80's. Actually about three times the usual monthly sallary in Finland back then. He also told me that yes, this is a very special instrument.

So, he got the guitar and after some time(?) he let this other famous guitarguru guy mod it in 1991. IMHO, a big mistake! I would be much happier if it still was unmodded and had the original neck plate with serial ect

Im still curious about that WO# thing? Surely someone here knows something about those? Do WO# tell anything about where and when my guitar was being made?
        Last edited by SuperSatan; 08-10-2017, 03:19 AM.

Comment

anything in the spring cavity for the floyd rose? pics would help a lot.

Comment

I'll upload pics via some image host service today.
            Last edited by SuperSatan; 08-09-2017, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Ok. Here's some pics. It does look more yellow than it actually is. Lightning was shit.

https://m.imgur.com/a/yi5ZN

Here is couple more with better light:

https://imgur.com/a/LUgyI

And here you can see that there is "R" stamp and there is "Made"- text left of that "Made in USA" stamp in the headstock

https://imgur.com/RkPP8fJ
              Last edited by SuperSatan; 08-10-2017, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Looks really cool even with the mods! They are done really well tho the guitar sadly is no more original.
                At least they look cool and fit the guitar well! 24 fret full strat is rare!

Comment

Haha! Thank you! Yeah, very 90's hair metal style!

I honestly had no idea that Jackson 24 fret strats are rare?

Im considering some refurbishing for it. I would love to have that headstock back to complitely Pearl White with that Candy Red Jackson logo with Made in Usa text ofcourse. As we all know, guitar plays much better and I play much better if its there Also that now red upper fret access in the body would be cool to have back in PW.

Now, any info about those WO#'s?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSatan View Post
                    Haha! Thank you! Yeah, very 90's hair metal style!

I honestly had no idea that Jackson 24 fret strats are rare?

Im considering some refurbishing for it. I would love to have that headstock back to complitely Pearl White with that Candy Red Jackson logo with Made in Usa text ofcourse. As we all know, guitar plays much better and I play much better if its there Also that now red upper fret access in the body would be cool to have back in PW.

Now, any info about those WO#'s?
                    Yeah you'd think that 24 fret full strats would be common but most always order them with 22 frets. Dinky/Soloist shaped guitars are different story.
                    Probably it's because full strats are more traditional and suits players that come from vintage guitars and want some of that tradition with modern features.

Dinky/Soloist players usually go for full shred and need the extra 2 frets. But what do I know I just haven't seen many! I own a custom ESP full strat that has 24 frets jackson neck. Including that, yours would be like the 3th I've seen so far.

I can't tell you anything about WO but others surely can.

Comment

Cool strat! I own two 24-fretters. That missing plate is a shame, I wonder who swiped it? I'm not a fan of the mods.

Neck cavities never have the Jackson stamp. WO numbers are more or less meaningless, but it's a plus to see them match.

Hard to see but it looks like the guitar originally had a JT-590 and was changed to a Floyd. That can cause intonation issues, in addition to the lock screws being too long (thus the need for the lion's claw mod).

Comment

Cool! Thanks for the info for both of you! I was hoping that those WO# would reveal something more. Original owner remembered quita a bit but it's been about 30 years so ofcourse he couldnt remember everything.

Oh and no intonation issues here. Guitar plays like a dream. Those mods were done by really good, respected and now already retired old school guitarsmith.

Well, next I will ask a more about those special old woods this is build. Sure like to know more abbout that detail. Maybe original owner remembers some more about them and the process. And might contact the modder also and ask him wheres my motherfkn neck plate and why it was changed! And you never know, maybe theres a chance to actually get it back somehow?
                        Last edited by SuperSatan; 08-11-2017, 03:44 PM.

Comment

And I have to say that I started a project to restore this at least for little bit in the areas that annoy me. Going to at least get that headstock and that now red colored part of the body back to normal/original Pearl White. That is IF I can just find a good shop to do it.

Just a thought but how's the Jackson Custom Shop's repairing side? Expensive I bet but do they repair and refurbish their old gear? Anybody have any info?

Comment

Working...
                          X