1994 SL1 Pile of Skulls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 SL1 Pile of Skulls

Trying to see if I can get an image to display frpm google photos. Bought a 94 SL1 and wanted to share with you guys.
    Last edited by 10kohm; 08-11-2017, 11:01 AM.

https://goo.gl/photos/9DuWbi1XGRN9mU7XA

Comment

Very cool! Looks like it's got the original Bill Lawrence USA pickup that Jackson used on certain models around that time.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

To be precise these were called Soloist Customs at the time. I think they came up with SL-1 at 95 or 96. But cool stuff nonetheless.

Comment

Was that the one on GC?

Comment

@Catharpin Yessir. Do you know anything about tbe guitar or have any comments? I'm always wondering what the story on these are.

Comment

No but I was soooo close to pulling the trigger on that one, you got a smoking deal!
              Great score!

Comment

Thanks! It needs a fret dress but that's about it I think. The GC originally thought it had a broken truss rod which explains the discount but I called after completing the purchase and had someone there take a second look and he said it wasn't broken and that it had simply run out of adjustment (board not 100% flat with rod backed off all the way). I just got it yesterday so I was busy playing it last night but I will inspect the truss tonight. Not super worried because I have read that this is fairly common and easy to fix. Beside that, just a few buzzing frets but the dress should clean that up. It sounds beautiful (a little more melodic than my Dinky USA).

Comment

Originally posted by ed View Post
                  To be precise these were called Soloist Customs at the time. I think they came up with SL-1 at 95 or 96. But cool stuff nonetheless.
                  True. The '96 catalogue was the first mention of the model name SL1...as well as the first mention of the names DK1 and RR1.

'Tis a nice one. Enjoy.
                  96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    Very cool! Looks like it's got the original Bill Lawrence USA pickup that Jackson used on certain models around that time.
                    Both my Dinky and now Soloist have that pickup in the bridge. I would really like to try some BK pups but wish I could play some before committing.

Comment

Originally posted by 10kohm View Post
                      Thanks! It needs a fret dress but that's about it I think. The GC originally thought it had a broken truss rod which explains the discount but I called after completing the purchase and had someone there take a second look and he said it wasn't broken and that it had simply run out of adjustment (board not 100% flat with rod backed off all the way). I just got it yesterday so I was busy playing it last night but I will inspect the truss tonight. Not super worried because I have read that this is fairly common and easy to fix. Beside that, just a few buzzing frets but the dress should clean that up. It sounds beautiful (a little more melodic than my Dinky USA).
                      So bummer news... a well respected local luthier said that the neck is indeed backbowed near the 2-5th frets. Backbow cannot be corrected via truss adjustment. I'm thinking of taking it back to GC. Really sad on this one because the guitar is beautiful but I know I can't live with the frets buzzing in that region

Comment

I think you should be able to fix that sort of backbow with some clamping manouver. I have seen it done in youtube =)

Comment

Originally posted by Catharpin View Post
                          No but I was soooo close to pulling the trigger on that one, you got a smoking deal!
                          Great score!
                          Well, now we know why it was such a deal. The luthier I had examine the guitar did say that if the guitar simply stays under tension, the strings themselves will most likely bring it back but the question is: can I wait that long and risk it not coming back. I have 45 days to return it to GC. If GC would knock a couple hundred dollars off then it would be a no-brainer. Highly doubt they would do that after a sale.

Comment

Backbow blows. You can possibly put heavier gauge strings on there if it is marginal. Personally I'd get the hell out of it.

Comment

Working...
                            X