No announcement yet.

Very minor defect worth worrying about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very minor defect worth worrying about?

I bought a CS Soloist from Soundsgreat in Manchester last week. It wasn't ordered by me but was pretty much my perfect spec Soloist: natural quilt top, reverse headstock, shark fin inlays and 90s MOP logo. It has a JB in the bridge and Hotrails single coils but I may change those at some point. It's the second guitar I've bought unplayed as I've been waiting months for it to arrive in the shop and the last one they got sold in a day. Add to this I broke my leg a few weeks ago so couldn't drive 90 miles to check it out anyway.

So on playing this fantastic guitar all is good is good and I give it a good check over and to my horror there's a rough spot in the lower horn recess. On closer inspection it turns out there's a tiny blob of clearcoat like a little water droplet and a tiny tiny rough section there. I contacted the shop and they said they'd have to send it back to Jackson to get sorted out. That's another 2 transatlantic shipments and who knows how long in Jackson Custom Shop getting sorted out.

I decided just just to keep it and get some freebies from the shop.

What would you do?

Originally posted by FunkyMunky71 View Post
    I bought a CS Soloist from Soundsgreat in Manchester last week. It wasn't ordered by me but was pretty much my perfect spec Soloist: natural quilt top, reverse headstock, shark fin inlays and 90s MOP logo. It has a JB in the bridge and Hotrails single coils but I may change those at some point. It's the second guitar I've bought unplayed as I've been waiting months for it to arrive in the shop and the last one they got sold in a day. Add to this I broke my leg a few weeks ago so couldn't drive 90 miles to check it out anyway.

So on playing this fantastic guitar all is good is good and I give it a good check over and to my horror there's a rough spot in the lower horn recess. On closer inspection it turns out there's a tiny blob of clearcoat like a little water droplet and a tiny tiny rough section there. I contacted the shop and they said they'd have to send it back to Jackson to get sorted out. That's another 2 transatlantic shipments and who knows how long in Jackson Custom Shop getting sorted out.

I decided just just to keep it and get some freebies from the shop.

What would you do?
    assuming I'm deducing what you describe correctly, I'd take any shop freebies I can get, carefully wet sand out offending area smooth, then polish out to make it go away...

waiting for warranty work is annoying, and in your case is exacerbated by being in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by '84RR View Post
      assuming I'm deducing what you describe correctly, I'd take any shop freebies I can get, carefully wet sand out offending area smooth, then polish out to make it go away...

waiting for warranty work is annoying, and in your case is exacerbated by being in the UK
      ditto

It's not ideal, but the damage sounds entirely repairable. And you get to play the guitar instead of waiting for months to get it back. And, unless they decide to strip & refinish the guitar, they're probably just going to do what '84RR just suggested
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Go for the freebies - your long wait for CS fix won't be worthwhile for a fairly easy fix

Comment

Originally posted by AIC70 View Post
          Go for the freebies - your long wait for CS fix won't be worthwhile for a fairly easy fix
          That's what I thought. I'm just surprised a CS guitar slipped through the net with an obvious surface defect. If anything worse develops it's going back but I'm looking forward to gigging with it so at least I won't cry too much if it gets a ding on it's imperfect finish now!

I'm wearing a new Fender T Shirt as I write and my friend is getting a Charvel T for his birthday. Also got some strings and a decent lead (and a Jackson to play since missing my 1992 Soloist Pro XL for a decade).

Comment

Yah, you did what I would have done. The thought of 2 more transatlantic shipments would scare the
            shit out of me. Sounds like a simple fix anyway that a good local luthier could handle no worries...

Comment

Working...
            X